Hello There, Guest!

25-07-2012, 11:20 PM | Post: #1
Offline Ghostrider0067 
As perhaps the most well recognized proponent and veteran user as it relates the the M14, I suppose my words about it would be more readily accepted than most given my penchant for this weapon; however, from what I've seen both here and on other clan/group forums, it looks as though everyone is on the right path with setup and use of the 14. That said, my kit setup varies ever so slightly to what most might use: precision barrel, viper mags, precision stock, and stock scope. Why, you ask, when better pieces (potentially) are available? Simple: I bought a kit a while back and the pieces contained in that kit (barrel/stock) work out superbly. It also helps that my M14 is of the +3 variety which gives me just a little bit extra oomph. Please allow me to explain my rationale behind my setup:

Precision barrel: I find that the barrel works in all situations since it increases bullet velocity which, in turn, decreases bullet drop at longer ranges. I find that most of my shots occur in the mid to mid/long or long ranges but even those are pitifully short in this game. Don't believe for an instant that I can't work up close with this weapon as that would be your gravest mistake... and which you'd soon see my image trotting along in the kill feed. The Close In and Predator barrels are also solid choices.

Viper mags: This is, in my opinion, the best damage/ammo compromise available. As has been mentioned, when outfitted with these mags, the M14 is a three shot (or fewer) weapon at all ranges against unarmored targets or those using the 100HP skill. This is incredibly important given that the M14 is already at a disadvantage when compared to some of the weapons within its same DMR class. While Stingray mags might seem even better due to greater damage and ammo capacity, the offset to the range is too great to bear. If and only if you were planning on playing a true CQC style would I suggest trying that out.. and only with a range extending barrel. *NOTE* Stingray mags were recently placed into "storage" by EAsy.

Precision stock: This works to help decrease recoil and scoped in deviation perhaps better than any of the other stocks I've tried. Reducing bullet deviation on this weapon is highly important as is decreasing the recoil. Thankfully, the recoil on the M14 is vertical, so other stocks can also have an effect on controlling that drawback. Despite what some might say, the recoil is certainly manageable even without a stock. The Precision stock also helps to make repeat shots easier by keeping the group size smaller. While this stock does not decrease recoil, it will help to keep your shots more on target. What matters most is getting used to how the weapon performs, and one can only achieve this through prolonged use of it.

Stock scope: This gives me a good balance between magnification and accurate shot alignment. While I've tried some of the more powerful and/or fancier scopes available in the shop, I find myself always going back to this one. Until they release a realistic ACOG in 4x magnification, I doubt I'll change any time soon. Again, based on the ranges at which I consistently engage targets, the stock 3x scope works best for ME. I do have a holosight and use it on occasion, but I will only do so on prolonged play with smaller maps involved.

I tend to enjoy Karkand, Oman, and Myanmar the most; Dalian and Dragon Valley follow closely behind, but I also find the smaller, CQC focused maps to be quite fun. Even with all that variety, my setup will remain essentially unchanged unless I feel like using a different scope.

Again, these are what I happen to run and are in no way a definitive rule. Your setup is yours to enjoy and will more likely be different than mine based on how you play and your familiarity with the weapon itself. Don't let anyone foolishly tell you that this weapon is bad. They have NO idea how great it is now when compared to how it performed when it was first released, trust me. Even with the other great semi auto rifles available (and the pending release of the SKS), I tend to field this weapon over any other available to me for the simple reasons of it being effective, challenging, and somewhat rare. If you're not a friend of mine in the game, feel free to add me and I'll show you what this weapon can do in capable hands.

Enjoy this weapon! It's nowhere near as bad as it once was. I do hope what I've stated here prove helpful! Feel free to share your insights on what you use when employing this weapon and on which map(s) you seem to find the most success.

*Other useful attachments*

Piranha mags: A worthwhile substitute for the more precise rifleman that makes a slight trade to increase damage (4% over Viper) at the cost of magazine capacity (nine fewer rounds total) and a slightly increased recoil that can easily be reduced by a stock or through compensation by the user. I find that when I really want to make my close range shots count for smaller maps, these are what I use. Again, the user will have to consider taking more care with his/her shots as the chance to run out of ammo is a very real and potentially hazardous possibility.

Thunderbolt stock: Another solid and inexpensive choice as an alternative to the precision stock. Given that the M14 is a weapon that is meant to be fired in an ADS fashion, this stock helps to reduce recoil while firing zoomed in. While the deviation figures will drop somewhat in comparison to the precision, accuracy can be easily maintained by firing in an even cadence and not in a rapid fire succession except in a CQB situation. Considering that the recoil of the M14 is somewhat high, having something that reduces it when firing primarily in ADS just makes sense.

Tactical stock: This particular stock attachment is one of the most well rounded stocks available for the reasons that it reduces both deviation and ADS recoil when compared to a base weapon without a stock attachment. This will enable the user to maintain good firing cadence while holding accuracy due to decreased recoil and deviation figures. While the reduction to deviation is not as pronounced as those same figures when compared to the precision stock, the effect is still rather noticeable. This is a very worthwhile attachment that is a fairly low level unlock and not too expensive.

Red dot sight: One of the easiest to use attachments of all available, the RDS makes for clear and easy target acquisition across ranges. This sight is ideal for shorter ranges but can be used just fine out to middle distances (~80-100m). The sight is designed for close range work and thereby loses effectiveness out beyond middle distance. This is a great alternative to the holo and offers a very slightly faster ADS time when compared directly. It also does not blur your peripheral vision which makes tracking movement and acquiring additional targets both faster and easier. For an aggressive recon who tends to keep his/her contact up close and personal, this is a must have.

M145 sight/scope: Originally designed for use on the M249 SAW, this sight combines an excellent reticle for easy target acquisition as well as a slight magnification (2x). While not as powerful as the stock scope, this sight does have one advantage that the stock scope does not: your peripheral vision will not be blurred or blocked off. This enables the user to focus on the main target but still be able to easily track movement of secondary targets. This is a nice compromise for a user who likes to work primarily in short to mid range and does not often engage beyond that. The M145 can be used for longer ranges but isn't nearly as effective as the stock scope due to the lack of mil-dots for distance calculation as well as decreased magnification. *NOTE* This sight is currently only available through the free daily draw or by trying your luck through the weapons attachment drop by means of P4F funds.

[Image: 391560_4337901687061_1154472848_n.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2013 07:22 PM by Ghostrider0067.)
25-07-2012, 11:37 PM | Post: #2
Offline stryker: 
Great guide!

[Image: NirdP.png]
BFH: stryker:
25-07-2012, 11:39 PM | Post: #3
Offline Ghostrider0067 
(25-07-2012 11:37 PM)stryker: Wrote:  Great guide!

Much appreciated. Big Grin

25-07-2012, 11:45 PM | Post: #4
Offline dnordstrom 
Thanks for the guide, always appreciate the time and effort taken.

Haven't really tried it that much, to be honest. And since I don't own it permanently, I can't try it with attachments. Perhaps after this guide I'll get it and see what it can do. Got decent score with it rented a while ago, nothing special but I figure it can do a lot of damage once you get to know it. I know some recons truly love it and many others deeply despise it.

How would you say it compares to a full-auto rifle such as the Vintorez? What are the advantages; accurate aiming, easier headshots, more "oomph"? Do you ever work with full-auto rifles, by the way?

Would be interesting to hear your opinion. Recently got myself the Vintorez and it's quite effective for very aggressive play-styles if one can handle the recoil and land headshots over decent range, though I prefer to stay semi-aggressive with a quick bolt-action rifle most of the time. But it was a nice variation.

25-07-2012, 11:48 PM | Post: #5
Offline Merlini 
IMO, if you can't afford your dream stock.

Just get the holosight/rapid aim, it removes the amplified recoil from the powered scopes. At the cost of Zoom Factor.

And honestly, i really like Holosight on my M14, somehow it just makes my shots hit the head most of the time.

and i agree, M145 totally rocks on M14. I've been trying to get it.

(25-07-2012 11:45 PM)dnordstrom Wrote:  How would you say it compares to a full-auto rifle such as the Vintorez? What are the advantages; accurate aiming, easier headshots, more "oomph"? Do you ever work with full-auto rifles, by the way?

M14 is a medic killer. You'll find yourself killing alot of medics with it. VSS doesn't have a reliable hipfire accuracy but it does its job like an AEK-971.
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 11:51 PM by Merlini.)
25-07-2012, 11:54 PM | Post: #6
Offline coroev 
nice, totally agree, but imho, a tactical stock can be better on short/medium range (on long range precision is better)

25-07-2012, 11:58 PM | Post: #7
Offline Ghostrider0067 
(25-07-2012 11:45 PM)dnordstrom Wrote:  Thanks for the guide, always appreciate the time and effort taken.

My pleasure. I suddenly felt inspired after putting it off for some time now.

(25-07-2012 11:45 PM)dnordstrom Wrote:  How would you say it compares to a full-auto rifle such as the Vintorez? What are the advantages; accurate aiming, easier headshots, more "oomph"? Do you ever work with full-auto rifles, by the way?

Would be interesting to hear your opinion. Recently got myself the Vintorez and it's quite effective for very aggressive play-styles if one can handle the recoil and land headshots over decent range, though I prefer to stay semi-aggressive with a quick bolt-action rifle most of the time. But it was a nice variation.

The M14 compares rather favorably to the two FA rifles in the recon's arsenal based on two factors (primarily) range and accuracy at range, especially longer ranges. It also has a vertical, predictable recoil. Bear in mind that even though you can rip off shots as quickly as you can click, that doesn't mean that those shots are all going to be at or near the mark. The deviation when firing quickly with the 14 is HIGH. I only resort to somewhat rapid fire if I'm in a CQC situation and caught off guard. Other than that, I tend to fire at or around a half second to second intervals per shot. This "spacing", if you will, gives you the chance to make your shots count and to compensate for the 14's heavy recoil effect.

I do have an SVU-A and have tried the VSS. EAsy pretty much ruined the SVU with that outlandish horizontal recoil bit, but I still run it on occasion. Given that the VSS doesn't have that and is just as capable damage wise, I'd be more apt to use it instead if given then choice between the two despite my SVU being of the +3 variety.

(25-07-2012 11:54 PM)coroev Wrote:  nice, totally agree, but imho, a tactical stock can be better on short/medium range (on long range precision is better)

Again, this is just what I run. I'm more than welcome to other users' experiences with the weapon and in different configurations. As I believe I stated, most of my engagements happen in the mid to mind/long range. I'll reach out and touch people out to true long range (for this rifle, anyway) when given the opportunity to make my shots truly count.

(This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 12:01 AM by Ghostrider0067.)
25-07-2012, 11:58 PM | Post: #8
Offline DeltaForce 
Precision Stock does not reduce recoil at all.

According to the latest deviation formula both Precision and Balanced Stock, as well as Tactical Stock reduce deviation on hipfire, they just affect different modifiers. As for hipfire, there is another modifier that gets multiplied with the formula for deviation on hipfire, that one however is completly independent from stocks and cannot be changed in any way.

UH-60 Blackhawk: Guide Video
[Image: 5mLZc.png]
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 12:01 AM by DeltaForce.)
26-07-2012, 12:07 AM | Post: #9
Offline dnordstrom 
(25-07-2012 11:58 PM)Ghostrider0067 Wrote:  The M14 compares rather favorably to the two FA rifles in the recon's arsenal based on two factors (primarily) range and accuracy at range, especially longer ranges. It also has a vertical, predictable recoil. Bear in mind that even though you can rip off shots as quickly as you can click, that doesn't mean that those shots are all going to be at or near the mark. The deviation when firing quickly with the 14 is HIGH. I only resort to somewhat rapid fire if I'm in a CQC situation and caught off guard. Other than that, I tend to fire at or around a half second to second intervals per shot. This "spacing", if you will, gives you the chance to make your shots count and to compensate for the 14's heavy recoil effect.

I do have an SVU-A and have tried the VSS. EAsy pretty much ruined the SVU with that outlandish horizontal recoil bit, but I still run it on occasion. Given that the VSS doesn't have that and is just as capable damage wise, I'd be more apt to use it instead if given then choice between the two despite my SVU being of the +3 variety.

Thanks for that, and now I feel like buying an M14. Always great to read this kind of information about a weapon, things that you tend to learn from experience as opposed to from just renting it a few times.

Will keep an eye on the thread to see what our fellow soldiers are saying about it!

(This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 12:07 AM by dnordstrom.)
26-07-2012, 12:07 AM | Post: #10
Offline Merlini 
I just use OLOF set on M14 + Holosight.

Btw, Ceberus Stock works wonders on M14 if you swap barrel with close in/heavy/predator.
26-07-2012, 12:08 AM | Post: #11
Offline Ghostrider0067 
(25-07-2012 11:58 PM)DeltaForce Wrote:  Precision Stock does not reduce recoil at all.

According to the latest deviation formula both Precision and Balanced Stock, as well as Tactical Stock reduce deviation on hipfire, they just affect different modifiers. As for hipfire, there is another modifier that gets multiplied with the formula for deviation on hipfire, that one however is completly independent from stocks and cannot be changed in any way.

Thanks for the info.

For the sake of everyone, here are all of the currently available stocks compared directly versus a bone stock M14:

http://bfp4f.alchemical.ch/en/_/fa68910a...c27fdee675

(26-07-2012 12:07 AM)Merlini Wrote:  I just use OLOF set on M14 + Holosight.

Btw, Ceberus Stock works wonders on M14 if you swap barrel with close in/heavy/predator.

More great information. Thanks for that as well.

(This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 12:09 AM by Ghostrider0067.)
26-07-2012, 09:38 AM | Post: #12
Offline Healin4ev3r 
Thanks for the guide Ghost Big Grin . I decided to swap tactical stock for precision, RDS for stock scope to match your own setup, and the result is stunning!

[Image: q2RBF.jpg]

( e-pen alert, or whatever )'

M14 + M1911 on Basra just mins ago. Normally I rarely get over 30 kills/round with M14, but today I got over it on both Basra and Karkand Smile

[Image: xhUzq]

Honey Badger
PTFO
26-07-2012, 09:43 AM | Post: #13
Offline DeltaForce 
Naise.

UH-60 Blackhawk: Guide Video
[Image: 5mLZc.png]
26-07-2012, 10:28 AM | Post: #14
Offline Skithawk 
Nice guide man, similar setup here just with tactical cause I already got it and I use this weapon with PSO-1 near the flags only. M14 is a weapon that makes you work for the points, making every kill rewarding, has that WWII kinda feeling to it, and I can only imagine the rash on the M36 kids when they get outgunned in CQC. Too bad about SVU, wish they just removed all righwards recoil from the game altogether and turned it into normal sideways or upwards recoil instead, as they're not even profiting from selling you the fix currently.
26-07-2012, 11:04 AM | Post: #15
Offline AlexD 
M14 - default sope , precision stock, extra magzines, close in barrel.
Since i dont use viper ammo, i can do 3 hit kills only at close range, but i have double more ammo for kills.

[Image: HHANP53.jpg]
26-07-2012, 12:21 PM | Post: #16
Offline MR909 
Thanks for the nice guide and tips.Coming from a dedicated M14 player adds to the value of such a post.

Nice tip for the precision stock as I do believe smaller deviation on M14 adds to the semi-auto character of this weapon.Also tactical stock could be a good compromise, since it lowers at the same time ADS horizontal recoil, ADS vertical recoil and bullet deviation too to some extent.

I can't agree more for the playing range with this weapon, at mid-long.There seems to be the most of its potential due to good accuracy and intraceability of the shooter.Personally I find the default scope bad but that's well ...personal.Big Grin
The most preferable for me was M145 as it offered good aiming on long ranges (up to 120m) but also gave me options on medium even short range where standard scopes produce too big (zoomed) pictures.
** PSO-1 seems to be misaligned.A pity cause it's a nice scope with a good zoom level.

Another interesting setup (influenced by shodredux latest M14 video and buckraven's VSS wisdom) could be close in barrel, CQC ammo and precision stock.This could provide you with a lethal 40m effective weapon ideal for the flanker, short range tactical type of player.
26-07-2012, 02:25 PM | Post: #17
Offline Ghostrider0067 
I'm glad that all of you appreciated what I've written, especially Healin. I know that you're a solid player despite your preference to the Medic class, but skill is skill. Smile

(26-07-2012 11:04 AM)AlexD Wrote:  M14 - default sope , precision stock, extra magzines, close in barrel.
Since i dont use viper ammo, i can do 3 hit kills only at close range, but i have double more ammo for kills.

I have extra mags as well though I've not used them since picking up the Viper mags. I do see your point in having extra ammo available to you since the M14 has decent sized mags... but more ammo is just that. I've tried the close in barrel, too. It's definitely nice in that it extends your ranges where the should have been in the first place, but I personally prefer the extra velocity afforded to me by the precision barrel as to minimize the bullet drop at longer ranges. Even without them, this is still a great, flat shooting weapon when used within its effective ranges. It only suffers somewhat when you try and compete with others using bolt actions.

(26-07-2012 12:21 PM)MR909 Wrote:  Thanks for the nice guide and tips.Coming from a dedicated M14 player adds to the value of such a post.

Glad you liked it. My familiarity with it, coupled with my reputation on here for singing the praises of the weapon, is what drove me to finally write something up for others to use and adapt to their style of play.

(26-07-2012 12:21 PM)MR909 Wrote:  Nice tip for the precision stock as I do believe smaller deviation on M14 adds to the semi-auto character of this weapon.Also tactical stock could be a good compromise, since it lowers at the same time ADS horizontal recoil, ADS vertical recoil and bullet deviation too to some extent.

I can't agree more for the playing range with this weapon, at mid-long.There seems to be the most of its potential due to good accuracy and intraceability of the shooter.Personally I find the default scope bad but that's well ...personal.Big Grin
The most preferable for me was M145 as it offered good aiming on long ranges (up to 120m) but also gave me options on medium even short range where standard scopes produce too big (zoomed) pictures.
** PSO-1 seems to be misaligned.A pity cause it's a nice scope with a good zoom level.

Another interesting setup (influenced by shodredux latest M14 video and buckraven's VSS wisdom) could be close in barrel, CQC ammo and precision stock.This could provide you with a lethal 40m effective weapon ideal for the flanker, short range tactical type of player.

While some of the other stocks might influence the play characteristics of the weapon in terms of deviation and/or ADS time, I felt that the precision offered the best effects... for me. I suppose if I were looking for a more CQC oriented setup, I'd switch back to my holosight to reduce my ADS time (as nearly all of my shots are fired in that manner - even when playing other classes) at the cost of sacrificing my longer range precision with the default scope. I've only had the M145 once through a lucky grab in the DD. Hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to get one perma at some point... unless they do up a 4x ACOG. Now THAT would be sweetness for me given my preferred ranges.

I wasn't aware that ol' Shod had put up a re-review of his M14. I'll have to go over and have a look to see how different he finds it now when compared to the pre-20 DEC version. Thanks for that info. Smile

26-07-2012, 05:11 PM | Post: #18
Offline Ninja-Penguin. 
Wow, a very nice and detailed guide to the M14 but I think that the SVD is better suited to the job of DMR since it has quite a lot of power already, and with viper mags, plenty of ammo. The scope is nice, the range is enough and the recoil is controllable. But the M110 doesn't compare. Nor does any other weapon guide in the forum Tongue

Anyway, good job Ghostrider, I wouldn't mind seeing more of these kind of weapon guides. They made me rethink my weapon setups for the right compromise. Smile

26-07-2012, 05:18 PM | Post: #19
Offline Dipyrone 
Very good guide, too bad for me because I'm always ping around 200 and this gun does not work with power and stability. I try a lot but I had success only with ping below 100.

Return to original Battlefield spirit of fight.
26-07-2012, 05:52 PM | Post: #20
Offline Ghostrider0067 
(26-07-2012 05:11 PM)Ninja-Penguin. Wrote:  Wow, a very nice and detailed guide to the M14 but I think that the SVD is better suited to the job of DMR since it has quite a lot of power already, and with viper mags, plenty of ammo. The scope is nice, the range is enough and the recoil is controllable. But the M110 doesn't compare. Nor does any other weapon guide in the forum Tongue

Anyway, good job Ghostrider, I wouldn't mind seeing more of these kind of weapon guides. They made me rethink my weapon setups for the right compromise. Smile

Thanks. The SVD does fill the role of DMR better given that the weapon was specifically designed for just that. The EBR, in my opinion, is a high powered weapon that fills a gap between the traditional assaulter's M16/M4 and a true DMR. The M14 has good trigger speed to put the hurt down range with more precision than an assault rifle and with slightly more power, but it doesn't quite have the same punch out to more distant ranges like the slower and slightly more accurate SVD. The M110, while functioning as a very capable US DMR, suffers slightly due to less damage and the ever present "bullet trace" that could potentially reveal a shooter's position to someone smart enough to be paying attention.

I'll consider writing up a few others for my other favored class weapons: UMP, FN Para, and SCAR-L. Stay tuned. Smile