Hello There, Guest!

30-01-2012, 09:08 AM | Post: #1
Offline 64ozHaterade 
I'm here to talk about the IFF (Indentify Friend or Foe) radar. An IFF radar sends out radio waves at high frequencies to determine if aircrafts or vehicles are either friendly or enemy targets. Currently the skill "Attack Helicopter IFF Radar System" displays every enemy target in sight with an orange triangle or a green square. I think the IFF radar detection is a little bit on the over powered side when it comes to displaying Infantry. My idea is to add a Tier 2 skill "Anti IFF Radar" in the Equipment Expertise section. This will allow infantry to not be singled out by attack choppers unless they open fire on the chopper with Guns or RPGs.

[Image: antiiffradar.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 06:22 AM by 64ozHaterade.)
30-01-2012, 09:57 AM | Post: #2
Offline Mitchell 
I won't sign this, as it's pretty core to the Helicopter experience. But perhaps you can have an ability to remain stealthed to enemy Heli's and Jets? Seems more reasonable.

[Image: 30w0511.jpg]
30-01-2012, 10:21 AM | Post: #3
Offline FaKinSuPah 
its the same as improved threat awareness (my opinion)
but I find it to be a bit confusing sometimes, since its hard to see if its a vehicle or infantry

[Image: a7cbe6d5cd5c0814fdff124ef3191d6b2578b4b9.png]

"If you see me, it`s because of the kill cam."
30-01-2012, 10:28 AM | Post: #4
Offline 64ozHaterade 
Non biased opinions please. I like flying heli's too, and I put the points in to test it out myself. I know first hand that it is over powered...Pilots leave matches with 40-60+ kills and 0 deaths. It's right up there with Mortar Strikes. (My opinion) The main purpose of a helicopter is to take out tanks and other heavy machines.

I don't know how many matches where I see the pilot flying without a gunner. It would make the pilot rely on his gunner to take out the infantry instead of bombing them with a seemingly unending rain of rockets. IFF is supposed to determine enemy aircraft and vehicles, not infantry.

@MITCHEL, as you can see I put 2 options of what I think would work. 1 of them is a skill to remain undetected by IFF.

(This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 10:35 AM by 64ozHaterade.)
30-01-2012, 10:34 AM | Post: #5
Offline Strac.CRO 
my suggestion:

IFF Radar:
- infantry is not shown on an IFF display. IFF should only display enemy and friendly air-land-sea vehicles (metal) + at longer range.
- Enemies red, friendly green. (edit: or vice versa "the other way around")

[Image: journeyv.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 08:35 AM by Strac.CRO.)
30-01-2012, 10:39 AM | Post: #6
Offline 64ozHaterade 
(30-01-2012 10:34 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  my suggestion:

IFF Radar:
- infantry is not shown on an IFF display. IFF should only display enemy and friendly air-land-sea vehicles (metal ) + at longer range.
- Enemies red, friendly green.

Exactly what I'm saying. When troops needed air support in the Gulf War and they called in Apache Helicopters for that support, they had to have a recon like guy paint the target area with a laser. I can understand if there is a large group of infantry and the enemy is painting their position with a laser...but seeing every infantry even if they are hidden is just too much.

30-01-2012, 12:19 PM | Post: #7
Offline ClessAlvein 
yeah , then spotting ememies is more and more important , the role of recon could improve greatly Big Grin .
30-01-2012, 11:19 PM | Post: #8
Offline FaKinSuPah 
what do you think off improved threat awareness?

[Image: a7cbe6d5cd5c0814fdff124ef3191d6b2578b4b9.png]

"If you see me, it`s because of the kill cam."
31-01-2012, 02:09 AM | Post: #9
Online BuckTester 
(30-01-2012 09:08 AM)64ozHaterade Wrote:  1) Limit the Attack Helicopter IFF radar system to only pick up enemy aircraft and vehicles.

/sign

I am a Community Moderator, not an Official EA Representative
[Image: jDk2uU]

Submit BL-ban? - Appeal BL-ban!
31-01-2012, 02:27 AM | Post: #10
Offline 64ozHaterade 
(30-01-2012 11:19 PM)FaKinSuPah Wrote:  what do you think off improved threat awareness?

Recon doesn't have the luxury of Improved Threat Awareness. We have to use our Motion Sensor and scope, and you can only throw a Motion Sensor so far. If I had Improved Threat Awareness on a Recon that painted big orange triangles on every infantry in my view; how would you feel knowing theres about 6+ Recon's always knowing where you are and taking you out before you could get within 100 meters?

What Recon's get is called Advanced Reconnaissance, which when you push Q and do the spotted action it reveals targets on your map, not on your actual view. So even if they appear on your map, it is only a rough estimate of their location. Unlike the Attack Choppers that have a big target painted exactly on your location. All they have to do is line up the crosshairs with that giant orange triangle and fire 1-2 rockets and you're dead.

But as for Advanced Threat Awareness on Assault and Engineer classes, I think it is completely fair and works just fine. It works exactly how it should, not too much nor too little.

(This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 02:31 AM by 64ozHaterade.)
02-02-2012, 12:57 AM | Post: #11
Offline VForVendetta 
Yes I think there should be an ability that would make it so you wouldn't light up like a light bulb on the Heli's radar, sort of like the recon's anti-spotting ability. Making radars so they only reveal vehicles would be even better, but I doubt they would nerf it that far.
So far, the radar combined with the Hellfire missiles against infantry makes infantry helpless against helicopters Sad

[Image: vgtpZ.png?1]
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM | Post: #12
Offline 64ozHaterade 
(02-02-2012 12:57 AM)VForVendetta Wrote:  Yes I think there should be an ability that would make it so you wouldn't light up like a light bulb on the Heli's radar, sort of like the recon's anti-spotting ability. Making radars so they only reveal vehicles would be even better, but I doubt they would nerf it that far.
So far, the radar combined with the Hellfire missiles against infantry makes infantry helpless against helicopters Sad

Yeah, just like everyone said and predicted when Mortars and RPGs got the nerf..."Something else would take its place." Well I agree it has come to pass. Now to balance the helicopters. I added a proposal btw to add in Rheinmetall 20 mm Twin Anti-Aircraft Cannon (Or something similiar) for better anti air defense as well. Lock on Anti Air missles are like wishing in one hand and crapping in the other, and they rarely take the aircrafts down. Be nice if we had some manual aim cannons to take these suckers down as well.

02-02-2012, 08:07 PM | Post: #13
Offline Wixx 
(31-01-2012 02:09 AM)BuckRaven Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 09:08 AM)64ozHaterade Wrote:  1) Limit the Attack Helicopter IFF radar system to only pick up enemy aircraft and vehicles.

/sign

Nerf man pls

[Image: wixx_sig.png]
06-02-2012, 03:56 PM | Post: #14
Offline Hmmmmmmm 
(30-01-2012 09:57 AM)Mitchell Wrote:  I won't sign this, as it's pretty core to the Helicopter experience. But perhaps you can have an ability to remain stealthed to enemy Heli's and Jets? Seems more reasonable.

Yes.

[Image: zzx9.jpg]

09-02-2012, 06:23 AM | Post: #15
Offline 64ozHaterade 
Ok, so I just edited the whole suggestion into a Talent Skill based Anti IFF Radar. Check it out and tell me what you guys think.

11-02-2012, 01:21 PM | Post: #16
Offline TacticalS 
I don`t understand all this talk about the IFF radar. It works the same as tactical threat awareness. I`m a good heli pilot myself but I never use IFF (unless i`m recon), because the IFF also shows dead targets and tactical threat awareness not.

Therefore threat awareness at level 4/4 is better then IFF.
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM | Post: #17
Offline SharpShooter 
I got to sign this too. Flying in this game is extremely easy. I use always heli when possible and easily pull over 10k points unless my team is reallyreally bad
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM | Post: #18
Offline 64ozHaterade 
(11-02-2012 02:05 PM)SharpShooter Wrote:  I got to sign this too. Flying in this game is extremely easy. I use always heli when possible and easily pull over 10k points unless my team is reallyreally bad

I agree, I have been learning to fly Attack Choppers in the last couple weeks and it is rediculously easy to pick out defensless infantry and camp their spawn repeatedly. I even manage to do flyby's at their homebase and pick up more kills.

Let the gunner deal with infantry with the guns. And let this abuse of IFF radar be dealt with once and for all. All it takes is a recon to use his Advanced Reconnaisence talent that shows multiple enemies with their spotted emote and scan them out yourself. IFF is supposed to determine if something threat to the aircraft, not prey on defensless infantry. I understand if the infantry fires a tracer dart, bullets, or an RPG at the aircraft. Then by all means they should light up on the IFF radar. But beyond that is overkill.

11-02-2012, 05:49 PM | Post: #19
Offline JonSwift
What about painted targets for gunners only, while the pilots can only see vehicles only?

It's not like the gunner can do much damage with the 20mm cannon anyway, it's completely weak against infantry, add in the factor of the helo zooming around and it makes it that much harder (which is good! ;-))
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM | Post: #20
Offline 64ozHaterade 
(11-02-2012 05:49 PM)JonSwift Wrote:  What about painted targets for gunners only, while the pilots can only see vehicles only?

It's not like the gunner can do much damage with the 20mm cannon anyway, it's completely weak against infantry, add in the factor of the helo zooming around and it makes it that much harder (which is good! ;-))

Because I think the gunner could just point them out and it wouldn't make a difference. It would just make it so somebody could park the heli on a hill and get in the gunner seat and pick off infantry all day.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 05:59 PM by 64ozHaterade.)