Hello There, Guest!

12-01-2012, 05:31 PM | Post: #1
Offline AtomicBaboon  Go to next Official Response...
Hello Battlefield players,
Jeremy Miller – Art Director of EASY - here to fill you in on the Battlefield PLAY4FREE‘s rendering and lighting update we’ve just released.

The art team approached this with two things in mind: First, to use this classic game engine more effectively while minimally impacting performance. Second, to make each map more visibly unique and instantly recognizable compared to the others. This effort will be ongoing, but I’m very excited with what we were able to do!

Using the engine more effectively:
  • The addition of “specularity” or “shine” to many elements in the environment. Objects such as tiles, glass windows, metal, cement now react to the light in a more realistic and interesting way.
  • Increased the contrast and quality of the lighting for most of the level elements. The form, shapes and details of both soldiers and weapons are more easily seen both in shadows(!) and direct sunlight.
  • Fog distances have been reviewed, fine-tuned and even pushed back where we could make it work.
  • Increased the consistency of the *look* of the maps across detail levels. While Battlefield PLAY4FREE is certainly at its best on high settings, there should be less of a change shifting down to medium and lower settings. We’ll be putting some more time towards this in the near future as well as addressing a bug where Low and Superlow are much too bright.

Individualizing the maps:
There really are too many little tweaks to mention them all but here are some: balanced and optimized many of the textures used throughout the maps, improved the quality of some commonly used objects, added a few things and integrated some feedback from the community where we could!

Karkand
[Image: Karkand_Update.jpg]
  • Matched the lighting to the “hot, bright desert town” setting.

Oman
[Image: Oman_Update.jpg]
  • Shifted the lighting from "warm sunset" to "cool sunrise" and added some colour.

Basra
[Image: Basra_Update.jpg]
  • Lightened it up overall and shifted the palette closer to that of a middle-eastern city.
    Emphasized that you are fighting in a half-finished development on the outskirts of the city.

Dragon Valley
[Image: DragonValley_Update.jpg]
  • Brightened up the lighting slightly and added some elements to make it feel more wet.

Dalian
[Image: Dalian_Update.jpg]
  • Reduced the brightness slightly, pushed the fog back and removed some of the blue.

Sharqi
[Image: Sharqi_Update.jpg]
  • Minor adjustments, including pushing the fog back, to help the “oncoming dust storm on a sunny day” setting.

I certainly hope you enjoy these updates as much as we do.

Rock on soldiers and let us know what you think!

~Jeremy
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 05:42 PM by AtomicBaboon.)
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM | Post: #2
Offline kayack1
great but have you thought of that ? :
- now the recon will spot EAsily the ennemy's , so they will aim with their mortar ( boosted ) more accuratly .
- it will be the snipers heaven ...
- ouch my eyes , too bright !
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 05:34 PM by kayack1.)
12-01-2012, 05:34 PM | Post: #3
Offline TacticalS 
Definitely an improvement! I like the change
12-01-2012, 05:35 PM | Post: #4
Offline Strac.CRO 
GREAT WORK on "Fog distances have been reviewed, fine-tuned and even pushed back where we could make it work."

edit: suggestions: keep some maps in 2 settings (almost = more maps)

1. new Karkand (less fog) is great but you could also keep old Karkand with more "orange" sand fog (like in old map or even more fog = less distance seen), old reddish colors and add sand storm particles as seen in "The elder scrolls 3: Morrowind", something like moving wind sand trails on the ground (= effect, like DV has rain and DALIAN has WHITE snowflakes)

Karkand no.1 - hot, bright day
Karkand no.2 - sand storm with sand fog

2. Dalian plant - great work, add pine trees with some WHITE snow on it + add small areas with WHITE snow + muddysnow "WHITE WITH SOME BLACK MUD" areas

3. I didn't play Oman and DV (no internet for a few days since ISP is changing infrastructure) but same as Karkand:

Oman no.1 - cool sunrise (with blue sky and nice clear colors, like in BF2) edit: played it, looks great but sun is too low, maybe 11am-high noon would be better?
Oman no.2 - warm late sunset ("old" sand reddish and orange colors + hot red sunset sun)
DV no.1 - rain, fog, heavy clouds, poor light, maybe add random lightning strikes in the sky (clouds)
DV no.2 - like in BF2, clear sunny day with some small clouds hiding the sun, 2 pm (nice clear day like in new Oman or new Basra, bright green grass and trees)

@ kayack1
"it will be the snipers heaven" ... I agree, now they need to buff our weapons (legacy and standard) by reducing recoil and inaccuracy, adding more damage and ammo.
(This post was last modified: 13-01-2012 10:52 PM by Strac.CRO.)
12-01-2012, 05:35 PM | Post: #5
Offline Regasus 
(12-01-2012 05:33 PM)kayack1 Wrote:  - ouch my eyes , too bright !

The irony.

OT: Good job! Sticky this btw.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 05:36 PM by Regasus.)
12-01-2012, 05:46 PM | Post: #6
Offline BoomStick. 
Nice. I used to think, that Karkand is all dusty due to some sort of sand storm Smile Gotta see it all in action. Also gonna check if you can still see the edge of the world on Dalian.

[Image: sig2.png]
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM | Post: #7
Offline Zeitman 
[Image: MOD1.png]

[Image: sig_zeitman_cobra4.png]
This sig is a work in progress
12-01-2012, 05:51 PM | Post: #8
Offline mono 
Not sure I agree that all the changes are improvements (I liked the brightness of Dalian, and Oman now seems incredibly yellow), but the changes to shadow and lighting effects are brilliant. From a strategic point of view, Karkand is almost a completely new map now with a lot more tactical opportunities.

[Image: monosignam2.png]
12-01-2012, 06:07 PM | Post: #9
Offline [nR]Hellinator
This game looks better than BF2 now. Pretty impressive.
12-01-2012, 06:14 PM | Post: #10
Offline Cloud90PL 
Karkand and Oman looks lovely indeed but rest looks like before the update

[Image: cloudfpssig.jpg]

why do I even care.......
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM | Post: #11
Online vicmacky 
and in the process due to your changes u cant see your crossair when zoomed in on a player who happens to be in a slightly darker part of the map? and you think this is a good thing? haha it really aint.

Post edited by VitalBullet,
Please do not quote the entire original post when posting a simple comment. Instead, please try to quote specific parts or at least remove the image tags from the images.
12-01-2012, 06:29 PM | Post: #12
Offline [TA]Stufa 
Tbh this seems to be a really good update to me.

[Image: va6Fai8.png]
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM | Post: #13
Offline BuckTester 
I really like the updated versions of Karkand and Basra. Sharqi and Dalian wasn't as noticeably changed. Oman feels a bit odd to be honest. On high graphics it's ok, but on medium (which I usually play on) it feels too colourful really.

All in all, nice job.

Really like the new Karkand!

I am a Community Moderator, not an Official EA Representative
[Image: jDk2uU]

Submit BL-ban? - Appeal BL-ban!
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 06:52 PM by BuckTester.)
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM | Post: #14
Offline UselessB 
Looks nice thieves. If I ever play this again, I'll check it out.

<Inappropriate signature removed by HomeSen (read the Forum Rules, again)>

Stating that EA removed content from my account without my permission, after telling me that they wouldn't, is inappropriate.
12-01-2012, 06:56 PM | Post: #15
Offline BoomStick. 
Like mono said, Karkand plays now like a completely new map. And I'm also not fond of yellow tint on Oman. So:
Oman - bad
rest - good
Karkand - total overhaul

12-01-2012, 06:58 PM | Post: #16
Offline -Tigar- 
not bad...

[Image: mojss.png]
"Tiger! Tiger! burning bright in the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?"
12-01-2012, 06:59 PM | Post: #17
Offline AJoao611
It looks awesome! Rly, it's just so much better! But I think the US default uniform got slightly worse, maybe too bright with shadows on the legs... gonna take a pic when I can.

(12-01-2012 06:56 PM)BoomStick. Wrote:  Like mono said, Karkand plays now like a completely new map. And I'm also not fond of yellow tint on Oman. So:
Oman - bad

I see u didn't play BF2... well, at least u didn't play Oman in BF2
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 06:59 PM by AJoao611.)
12-01-2012, 07:02 PM | Post: #18
Offline BlackPercy 
Congrats on implenting even more bugs.

[Image: percytest.png]
12-01-2012, 07:38 PM | Post: #19
Offline BoomStick. 
(12-01-2012 06:59 PM)AJoao611 Wrote:  I see u didn't play BF2

True. This is my first Battlefield game (not counting BFH). That yellowish tint over whole map looks unnatural to me. I liked it better before.

12-01-2012, 07:47 PM | Post: #20
Offline kayack1
lol i got an accident in a tank full armor ( 1000 health ) at flag C , i got destroyed by accident , so now we have more bugs ? Oo
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 07:47 PM by kayack1.)