Hello There, Guest!

09-10-2011, 06:04 PM | Post: #1
Offline mlkmlkmlk123 
Hay to all you bfh fans like me I think we need a tutorial mode like bfh because I would like to hone my skills such as piloting helicopters and right now the only way i can do that is to try to get one while in middle of a battlezone which doesnt help.
my second subject is the helicopter control. for me the mouse control is very hard and I keep doing backflips in the air. also I thnk the power level on the chopper hould be able to be put in lock position.Undecided

[Image: sig12.png]
09-10-2011, 06:28 PM | Post: #2
Offline Strac.CRO 
hover button = already suggested, no need, learn to fly

1. use WASD + arrow keys for superb control, forget the mouse
2. find empty server (with OMAN & DV) and practice there

[Image: journeyv.jpg]

09-10-2011, 10:48 PM | Post: #3
Offline BuckTester 
(09-10-2011 06:28 PM)Str1000ac Wrote:  hover button = already suggested, no need, learn to fly

1. use WASD + arrow keys for superb control, forget the mouse
2. find empty server (with OMAN & DV) and practice there
With practice you can control the helicopters with the mouse just fine. Besides that fact you don't need to switch controls when jumping into a heli/plane.

(09-10-2011 10:38 PM)BuckFutter Wrote:  Try lowering the mouse sensitivity for flying and be gentle on the mouse.

A and D will turn the helicopter but you roll the helicopter with the mouse.
[Image: Rollpitchyawplain.png]

Mouse left/right = roll left/right
Mouse up/down = Pitch
A/D = Yaw

Here are my settings:
[Image: 2011-10-0923-30-00.jpg]

Notice that I have my Pitch-factor higher than my "Yaw-factor" (which really should be Roll-factor in my opinion). This is because that makes the game more forgiving on your mouse-movements.

You should really experiment with the settings yourself until you find one that suits you. You can do this on empty servers until you're confident enough to try it in a live game.

Good luck!

I am a Community Moderator, not an Official EA Representative
[Image: jDk2uU]

Submit BL-ban? - Appeal BL-ban!
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 10:49 PM by BuckTester.)
10-10-2011, 07:50 AM | Post: #4
Offline Strac.CRO 
with mouse you can easily do in reality very hard maneuvers, almost impossible (like those stupid rolls), vice versa when you need a real life manouver you wouldn't be able to do it, flying with mouse is "arcadish", weird and extremely unsatisfaying,

for example
when you want -TO LAND- transport chopper while in fast inbound flight you need to do circle manouver with constantly reducing radius etc.
with arrow keys you need to think about what you want to do, what kind of strategy of flight you want to do while with mouse you just sway your mouse on the pad like an idiot etc. etc. ...

EDIT: "...I keep doing backflips in the air..." says it all

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 07:59 AM by Strac.CRO.)
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM | Post: #5
Offline BuckTester 
I don't understand that statement at all. You seem to contradict yourself.

(10-10-2011 07:50 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  with mouse you can easily do in reality very hard maneuvers
So it's easier to manoeuvre the heli with the mouse? Then why switch to the keyboard?

(10-10-2011 07:50 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  when you want -TO LAND- transport chopper while in fast inbound flight you need to do circle manouver with constantly reducing radius etc.
Are we talking in-game or in real life here? Because I can land perfectly and right on the heli-pad without doing any circular movement using the mouse.

(10-10-2011 07:50 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  with arrow keys you need to think about what you want to do, what kind of strategy of flight you want to do while with mouse you just sway your mouse on the pad like an idiot etc. etc. ...
I plan my movement very carefully, using my mouse. I never "sway my mouse on the pad like an idiot"

(10-10-2011 07:50 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  EDIT: "...I keep doing backflips in the air..." says it all
Yeah, that's because he most likely isn't used to or comfortable with the sensitivity settings for the mouse, nothing else.

This isn't FSX..

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 09:12 AM by BuckTester.)
10-10-2011, 10:07 AM | Post: #6
Offline Strac.CRO 
BuckFutter ... try to use arrow keys, at least for a day and see what I'm talking about

10-10-2011, 12:01 PM | Post: #7
Offline BuckTester 
Str1000ac...

I have, and I still say using the mouse is a lot easier and you're still not making sense in that previous post. Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just curious about what you mean by those statements.

Before you go saying I haven't used the keyboard enough to have an opinion let me say this; when I first started flying I experienced the exact same thing as the OP did. I flipped the helis over and over and over again. So I started using the keyboard. For quite a while too. Then I decided that I should at least try using the mouse again since it felt awkward to have to switch grip whenever I got into an aircraft or helicopter. I haven't looked back since.

(10-10-2011 07:50 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  with mouse you can easily do in reality very hard maneuvers
(10-10-2011 07:50 AM)Str1000ac Wrote:  when you want -TO LAND- transport chopper while in fast inbound flight you need to do circle manouver with constantly reducing radius etc.
Can you explain those two statements at least?

Oh, and while we're at it, have you ever flown a helicopter in reality?

I know I haven't but it sure seems more realistic to use the mouse than the arrow keys to me.

Realistically you'd use a joystick-ish device to control the pitch and roll, a handbrake-ish device to control the lift or the throttle (W in-game) and for the Yaw (turning, A/D in-game) you would use your feet.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 12:13 PM by BuckTester.)
10-10-2011, 02:09 PM | Post: #8
Offline Strac.CRO 
BuckFutter ... I saw some videos on youtube with people flying choppers AH-64, Mil 28, and you can say if they use mouse, when you see some stupid weird manouver and you say OK, he's losing it, he'll stall and crash he just gently pulls himself out of the "situation", as I stated playing with arrow keys (or joystick, same thing) is more realistic and it will give a nice feel what kind of machine is heli (physics)

if you like to use mouse do it, it's your way

btw. do you use mouse for flying a jet too?

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 02:10 PM by Strac.CRO.)
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM | Post: #9
Offline BuckTester 
Well, your way sure isn't my way.

Seeing as you seriously suggest (in another thread) removing mouse-control for flying I'm pretty much done with this discussion. You still haven't answered my questions either.

I'll just agree to disagree with you.