Hello There, Guest!

19-08-2011, 11:27 PM | Post: #1
Offline .L1Gh7~ 

Hello, I will show you some tips to improve your gaming experience, reduce lags and/or clean your computer.

First Tip

• CCleaner

[Image: cc_64.png]

Description:
Optimization and Cleaning
CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download.

Links:
Click here to download CCleaner (the download pop-up will appear)
Official CCleaner website

-> Install and clean your computer with CCleaner (cleaning + registery) and desinstall completly useless software (Tools->Uninstall). Also go to Tools->Startup and disable all the useless stuff

Note: Use it on a regular basis - like once a week (depend of your computer use).

Second Tip

• Leatrix Latency Fix

Description:
Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

You will see reduced latency in many online games.

Links:
More informations and help about Leatrix Latency Fix (also source)
Download Leatrix Latency Fix (the download pop-up will appear)

-> Install Leatrix Latency Fix

Third Tip

• Disk Defragmenter (Optional)

Description:
Disk Defragmenter: Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer. Removable storage devices such as USB flash drives can also become fragmented. Disk Defragmenter rearranges fragmented data so your disks and drives can work more efficiently. Disk Defragmenter runs on a schedule, but you can also analyze and defragment your disks and drives manually.

Links:
Disk Defragmenter Tutorial

-> Run Disk Defragmenter

Note:
Run it on a regular basis - like once a month (depend of your computer use).
If you decide to install Gamebooster you can also defrag the game folder. Look at the next tip.
You can also use if you prefer Defraggler (from Piriform - like CCleaner) : Click here to download Defraggler (the download pop-up will appear). Official Defraggler website

Fourth Tip

• "Boost" your computer (If needed)

Description:
Stop useless process and functionalities with a software or simply yourself.

- Softwares:
Gamebooster (recommended, and If you decide to install Gamebooster you can also defrag the game folder)
TuneUp Utilities Turbo
(Many other...)

<!> Warning: These programs can have a negative effect in certain case, be careful. Install/run only one boost programs <!>

And/or

- Yourself (better but more dangerous):
  • Alt + Ctrl + Suppr
  • Process
  • Search on the web if the process is completly useless/optional
  • Stop useless/optional process

-> Run the boost software of your choice and/or use the "yourself" way

Fifth Tip

• Update your Graphic Card Driver (If needed)

Description:
Install the lastest version of your Graphic Card Driver.

Official main Graphic Cards websites:
Nvidia (GeForce)
AMD
Note: trust only Graphic Cards' official websites.

-> Check if you have the lastest version and if not: install the good lastest driver

Sixth Tip

• Disable Mouse Acceleration

Description:
Disable the Windows's Mouse Acceleration for a better and accurate aim/mouse precision.

Note: it could be worst than before for you, this setting is highly personal. But in most of case - it'll be way better and can enhance your aiming total capacity.

What's Mouse Acceleration and what it does?:
Mouse acceleration describes the relationship between physical movement of the mouse and on-screen movement of the cursor:
- with mouse acceleration off the cursor will always move the same distance regardless of the speed at which the mouse is moved.
- with mouse acceleration on the cursor will move further when the mouse is moved at a faster pace.

How do I disable it?

Quote:Windows:
Some games do not feature raw input functionality, so it is important that windows is optimized for gaming. Go into the control panel, select mouse and go to the 'pointer options' tab. Place the sensitivity slider on the 6th bar and deactivate 'enhance pointer precision'.

The sensitivity (select pointer speed) slider can effectively cut out movements sent by your mouse. For example, if you place the slider on 3, Windows introduces a multiplier of 0.25, cutting out 3/4 of all information sent by your mouse. Not good at all. Enhance pointer precision introduces a non-linear acceleration curve. Even the few advocates of mouse acceleration would have you remove this.

Next you need all mouse acceleration gone from windows, this can be done with a registry tweak in windows 7 or by downloading a program for windows XP, 7 and vista. If you use a Logitech gaming mouse there is a selection to use "Setpoint implementation" in the gaming tab, use this. You will also see "keep mouse acceleration" and "keep mouse speed", remove these. Be sure to add steam to the games list so gaming mode is always activated.

Mac:
Can be removed by opening your terminal and using the following command lines:

Quote:macpro:~ user$ curl -O http://ktwit.net/code/killmouseaccel
macpro:~ user$ chmod +x killmouseaccel
macpro:~ user$ ./killmouseaccel mouse
Source

-> Disable Mouse Acceleration

Feel free to suggest me other tips!

Good game,
L1Gh7

(This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 11:05 PM by .L1Gh7~.)
19-08-2011, 11:33 PM | Post: #2
Online Solid 
Now we have two Threads which advertise CCleaner Rolleyes
I think, at least i hope that there is more Coming

[Image: b6975638bd.png]
20-08-2011, 12:20 AM | Post: #3
Offline .L1Gh7~ 
(19-08-2011 11:33 PM)Solid Wrote:  Now we have two Threads which advertise CCleaner Rolleyes
I think, at least i hope that there is more Coming

I didn't see any topic in your Guides and Tutorials List with "CCleaner" in his name ... Wink

Updated.... And feel free to suggest me other steps or way to improve the gaming experience! Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 20-08-2011 12:21 AM by .L1Gh7~.)
20-08-2011, 01:06 AM | Post: #4
Offline exair 
Don't install nonsense applications that simply take up hdd and memory space and use the cpu.
Best examples are the 'boosters' and defraggler, of course it's unique on the market because no one ever bothered to write a program to defrag your harddrives when windows can do that perfectly.

[Image: kDGVL]
20-08-2011, 01:20 AM | Post: #5
Offline G7R1 
Memory Cleaner, usefull for removing useless cache and that useless process

[Image: trollin3.jpg]

G7R1 = Medic / G7R2 = Assault / G7R3 = Recon / G7R4 = Engineer
20-08-2011, 01:47 AM | Post: #6
Offline .L1Gh7~ 
(20-08-2011 01:06 AM)exair Wrote:  Don't install nonsense applications that simply take up hdd and memory space and use the cpu.

Yes, you're right. But in certain case that can help... I added a warning in the guide.

(20-08-2011 01:06 AM)exair Wrote:  Best examples are the 'boosters' and defraggler, of course it's unique on the market because no one ever bothered to write a program to defrag your harddrives when windows can do that perfectly.

The only way I think it's unique is (logic way...) : Piriform make Defraggler because is better than Windows defrag system. If it's false, they just waste their time lol...

So, are you sure Windows defrag system is better/equal than Defraggler? Because I will change my step if you are sure. Wink

exair, you are probably experienced in this domain. Do you know good way to improve gaming?

(20-08-2011 01:20 AM)G7R1 Wrote:  Memory Cleaner, usefull for removing useless cache and that useless process

That only recovered 2MB for me... a really little amount Angel

(This post was last modified: 19-10-2012 12:32 AM by .L1Gh7~.)
20-08-2011, 02:42 AM | Post: #7
Offline exair 
Windows' defragger does the job, why install something unnecessary? If you install lots of nonsense you're lengthening boot time.
Turn off mouse acceleration, set the mouse's pollrate to 1000hz and once again don't install unnecessary programs. If you're short of RAM/CPU powah close everything except for the game, etc etc.
Leatrix is the only thing that I'd recommend on the list, registry cleaners are ******** that shouldn't be taken seriously and it's much easier to avoid causing a mess in the registry by, you guessed it, not installing unnecessary programs.

[Image: kDGVL]
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM | Post: #8
Offline .L1Gh7~ 
Updated.

PS : Can add it to the Updated List of Guides, Tips and Charts please? Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 06:01 PM by .L1Gh7~.)
13-07-2012, 05:25 AM | Post: #9
Offline TigerTNks
Which driver update do you recommend for me to download. And about how long will this take?
13-07-2012, 05:27 AM | Post: #10
Offline Strac.CRO 
(13-07-2012 05:25 AM)TigerTNks Wrote:  Which driver update do you recommend for me to download. And about how long will this take?

you must say what's your GPU
My Computer - properties - hardware - display adapter = is your GPU
http://www.filehippo.com/software/drivers/graphics/

[Image: journeyv.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 13-07-2012 05:28 AM by Strac.CRO.)
13-07-2012, 07:48 AM | Post: #11
Online friday21st 
Blackviper.com

Tuning windows manually

Sad
22-07-2012, 11:16 AM | Post: #12
Offline DeadxPixels 
(20-08-2011 01:06 AM)exair Wrote:  Don't install nonsense applications that simply take up hdd and memory space and use the cpu.
Best examples are the 'boosters' and defraggler, of course it's unique on the market because no one ever bothered to write a program to defrag your harddrives when windows can do that perfectly.

Defrag programs use Windows' defragment- but add to the functionality of it. Best example- if you don't want to wait through hours of defragmenting the whole drive, just get a program like Defraggler or WinContig (my preference) to analyze and defragment specific folders (like BFP4F folder and Windows folder) in just 5 minutes. Later when you go to bed you can defragment the rest of your pc.

Booster programs... I'm not sure how much they help. If you have a lot of programs running they can easily close those programs and later restore them- easier than doing it one by one yourself. In my experience, (with gamebooster 3) it didn't have any effect.

22-07-2012, 07:27 PM | Post: #13
Offline .Eagle 
I used CCleaner but it goes worse :/

22-07-2012, 08:50 PM | Post: #14
Offline p3rf0rat0r 
Just to get things straight, the "registry optimization" has no affect on your system at all in the best case, in the worst case some vital entries are missing. This is because Windows loads only the neeeded registry hives and not the whole registry.
read more:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why...-cleaners/
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovi...-life.aspx

Also I would mention that using a defrag tool on a SSD Drive might cause serious damage to it.
http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/...9623.htm#5

(This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 08:53 PM by p3rf0rat0r.)
23-07-2012, 03:07 AM | Post: #15
Offline WoodOwL 
Garbageware / bloatware, and in inexperienced hands, it can do more harm than good. It's just what I read on a forum I consider professional, but I'm open to real-life examples of how it improves things.
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 03:13 AM by WoodOwL.)
23-07-2012, 04:16 AM | Post: #16
Offline JuniorJr 
Necro, but useful necro.

[Image: BFAAT.png]
23-07-2012, 10:43 AM | Post: #17
Offline shotblasted 
(22-07-2012 08:50 PM)p3rf0rat0r Wrote:  Just to get things straight, the "registry optimization" has no affect on your system at all in the best case, in the worst case some vital entries are missing. This is because Windows loads only the neeeded registry hives and not the whole registry.
read more:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why...-cleaners/
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovi...-life.aspx

Also I would mention that using a defrag tool on a SSD Drive might cause serious damage to it.
http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/...9623.htm#5

agreed - but hopefully Windows stops you doing it.

Also NTFS doesnt slow down when its fragmented, its largely a personal thing rather than something you have to do

Also registry cleaners are risky at best, the registry takes a few milliseconds to load and even when somethings seriously wrong with your PC needing attention in a particular registry area then a cleaner wouldnt know what part is wrong, it just cleans things it can recognise like orphaned entries (which may even be applications you havnt fully initialised yet and just look orphaned).

Also never use a memory cleaner, its pointless, memory taken up in standby isnt wasted, windows regards empty ram as an unused resource so will fill it with stuff as you open and close it - whats important is whether it releases the ram when its needed and since XP, windows can do that far better on its own, better than you or I can armed with a memory cleaner.

Lastly blackviper, sure its a nice list but honestly if you go the whole hog and cut tons of stuff out, youll find windows likely runs worse at points in the future when you change your system configuration and find youve deleted/disabled something you need and you end up fault tracing back to the place you yourself 'fixed'. If you can show me a benchmark where windows actually shows significant speedups after knobbling it with blackvipers edits then ill eat my shorts.

blah blah blah
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 10:45 AM by shotblasted.)
23-07-2012, 01:56 PM | Post: #18
Online friday21st 
Disabling windows services manually is a good way to free some ram.
True, you can f up your computer if you dont know what you are doing.
Probly there is no good reason to do those things with 3gb memory - thou - this game is really cabable on running older PCs.
Every bit of extra ram always helps.

Sad
04-08-2012, 07:55 PM | Post: #19
Offline HowellQagan 
Alright if someone doesn't trust random programs like Leatrix Latency Fix, I have read a bit about it and found what it actually does.
Quote:"Just run your regedit (winkey+r) and type regedit

Then switch to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/Tcpip/Interfaces/
and have a look in the subfolders. If there is an entry "IPAddress" you're right.

Now 32BIT Sytsem.
Rightklick in the empty field > New > D-word. Name it TcpAckFrequency
Rightklick on your new Value Edit and type "1" @ Hexadecimal
Reboot and done

64BIT System
Rightklick in the empty field > New > Q-word. Name it TcpAckFrequency
Rightklick on your new Value Edit and type "1" @ Hexadecimal
Reboot and done"

It's quoted from another forum, I can link the source if needed.

Edit: This description is a bit inaccurate there is a video on youtube about it. Look here: http://youtu.be/XbWQnvytvqk
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2012 08:10 PM by HowellQagan.)
12-09-2012, 03:16 AM | Post: #20
Offline RapidFireDelta 
great suggestion, thanks

Special Forces Delta

RapidFireDelta, FAMAS [Assault]
FieldMedicDelta, M27 IAR [Medic]
HeavySmokeDelta, AS-VAL [Engineer]
SniperReconDelta, L96A1 [Recon]

Playing since 25 of March of 2012.