Hello There, Guest!

16-12-2010, 05:54 PM | Post: #1
Offline Silvanoshi
Rather than having hundreds of "first impressions" threads that invariably end up being buried under a pile of other threads while failing to receive even a single response, we thought it would be a good idea to have a single stickied thread for everyone's use Smile. This thread is a safe haven for "first impressions" posts. It is a thread in which people can post their first impressions safe in the knowledge that the thread will not become lost over time, and that their post will have a much higher chance of generating conversation Smile.

Given that we are dedicating a sticky thread to this topic, we would appreciate it if you would keep "first impressions" posts here, rather than creating new threads for them.

Get posting and have a blast!
Silvanoshi
16-12-2010, 06:02 PM | Post: #2
Offline Sheip 
Well,
When I first heard of it I thought "Great another copy of Black Ops , or another game were we are going to have to pay massive ammounts of cash". I was quite wrong , Battlefield is quite eye catcher. The thing I love about it is

1) Vechicles - I mean c'mon how cool is that right?
2) Realistic combat - This isnt like BFH were you must shoot someone around 100 times to kill then - this take stratagy.
3) I like the classes - Brings diversity in the game

I player for at least 8 rounds , I came in 1st place on my third round with 23 kills 0 deaths. I really do love the game and I would not mind paying some money for better weapons. Though EA , i do have a couple recomendations.

1) Make the weps that cost real money more affordable. That way more people would play.

2) Please do not make people who payer for weapons unkillable like in BFH. ( I personaly buyer Uber weps in BFH )
3) Perhaps you can make kill streak awards like in Black Ops. Not copying them or anything , but perhaps with a kill streak of 5 people with a Machine Gun you get some frags. Or perhaps a better weapon until you die.

4) Once store is released make a diversity of weapons that can have Add Ons like scopes , silencers , etc

Other then that I am fully satisfied with this game , awesome game. And I LOVE it. Once my Alienware m11x gets here I shall dedicate massive ammounts of my time to it. Kudos to you EA , youve done it once again.
16-12-2010, 06:14 PM | Post: #3
Offline TouchingHair 
Overall, nice.

There are certain frustrations and just li'l niggles that let it down. Lack of a server browser, slow/sluggish game-play and some ballencing issues (Medics shouldn't have heavy MGs...). Oh and not being able to hold my medkit or ammo box is annoying.

Should be interesting to see how this relates to Battlefield 3.
(This post was last modified: 16-12-2010 06:16 PM by TouchingHair.)
16-12-2010, 06:17 PM | Post: #4
Offline Assault. 
Awesome game wish i could spend more time on it cant wait to buy some stuff and deffinatley cant wait for the JETS this game looks like it has great potential. the only other things i would add would be Squads and ingame character selection... Great work EA keep it up!

[Image: Untitled-1-5.png]

16-12-2010, 06:29 PM | Post: #5
Offline STARSBarry 
Just played my first game after over 45 mins of "game is full" "disconnected from server" over and over... must say it was enjoyable when all anyone was doing was teleporting all over the map due to incredibly high ping.... well back to bad company 2 and dedicated servers run by people who are not giant corporations earning millions of dollars every year who can keep my ping below 500

oh and the hit box's kinda suck.... but that might be due to the whole 500+ pings for everyone

but hey this is just my first impression not like its important or anything for my continued custom to the game.
16-12-2010, 06:35 PM | Post: #6
Offline Sheip 
(16-12-2010 06:29 PM)STARSBarry Wrote:  Just played my first game after over 45 mins of "game is full" "disconnected from server" over and over... must say it was enjoyable when all anyone was doing was teleporting all over the map due to incredibly high ping.... well back to bad company 2 and dedicated servers run by people who are not giant corporations earning millions of dollars every year who can keep my ping below 500

oh and the hit box's kinda suck.... but that might be due to the whole 500+ pings for everyone

but hey this is just my first impression not like its important or anything for my continued custom to the game.

I dont see how your ping was 500. The game ran fine for me and I was playing on a "so-so" computer. And its probobly not EAs fault your ping is 500. You probobly have a crappy computer or bad internet connection. It ran fine for me , and keep in mind its still in Beta. So lashing out on the creators of a game that just came out and is in beta isnt that smart.

XOXOXOX
Kisses.
16-12-2010, 06:36 PM | Post: #7
Offline postman-muecke 
(16-12-2010 06:35 PM)Eviction Wrote:  
(16-12-2010 06:29 PM)STARSBarry Wrote:  Just played my first game after over 45 mins of "game is full" "disconnected from server" over and over... must say it was enjoyable when all anyone was doing was teleporting all over the map due to incredibly high ping.... well back to bad company 2 and dedicated servers run by people who are not giant corporations earning millions of dollars every year who can keep my ping below 500

I dont see how your ping was 500. The game ran fine for me and I was playing on a "so-so" computer. And its probobly not EAs fault your ping is 500. You probobly have a crappy computer or bad internet connection. It ran fine for me , and keep in mind its still in Beta. So lashing out on the creators of a game that just came out and is in beta isnt that smart.

XOXOXOX
Kisses.

there are loads op people having connection issues, it isn't related to their internet connection or specs; I have fast internet and good specs and I lag/loose connection too Wink
16-12-2010, 06:37 PM | Post: #8
Offline TouchingHair 
Eviction: The game server does seem to be having a lot of issues at the moment.

Ping can be affected by any number of things. Distance from the server, internet infrastucture, poor weather, peak times, lost packets, poor system performance etc.
16-12-2010, 06:42 PM | Post: #9
Offline Nerolit 
only one impression:

thank god it's not like bfh..(i mean balance-10 nationals vs 1 royal)
16-12-2010, 06:47 PM | Post: #10
Offline KrazyKain 
So far I'm very impressed, I sometimes get very laggy games, other times I don't, however I would like to see my ping, so please, display ping...

otherwise the classes feel balanced, the guns feel nice, the vehicles are powerful but not overly powerful (something I hated about BF2). Some people are suggesting you make the snipers a 1shot... god oh mighty please dont! I'm getting shot by snipers around every corner as it is, atleast this way I have a chance to take cover...

Overall I'm REALLY looking forward to release
16-12-2010, 06:55 PM | Post: #11
Offline HankScorpio 
Love the game so far! My only suggestion is to slow the turn speed of the gunners seats on tanks and buggys. Its nauseating trying to shoot people while the vehicle is moving.
16-12-2010, 06:57 PM | Post: #12
Offline Zocco 
Im dissapointed.

I would call this an alpha.
Ever tried Quake Live beta? It had it's issues but miles away from this bug festival.
This version suffers from too much problems.
Numerous disconnects and other connection issues.
Can't even begin to explain all the flaws with the game launcher.
Buggy graphics all over the place.
Extreme lag on all the servers i tried.
Not alot of resolutions, black borders on both sides.

Thanks, i love Battlefield but this beta invite gave me more headaches than i gave me fun.

I'll hang out in Badcompany 2 until this mess is good enough to be called beta.
To be honest i have problem mustering some hope for this project, so far it's only a quick bug-filled BF2 nostalgia trip.
Undecided
16-12-2010, 07:05 PM | Post: #13
Offline Tecfan 
My first impression was HORRIBLE.

First, I could not use FF4, because it's not supported, so I had to use IE.

in IE the installer crashed once, and then it managed to install the game on the second try.

First impression after opening the game:
BF Heroes re-used. first thing I thought: "urghhh how cheap looking and stolen.."
Then I go to settings to take the video settings up, but that doesn't applied.
Then I press play, and I instantly lose connection to the server.. Works on the second try.

Only to discover a horribly laggy server, in 1024x768. I then restarted the game, and then the cursor would not show up.

The Strike at Karkand loading music was cheap thrash metal as well.

Launching the game from the browser is a horrible idea as well.

Alt-tab fucks up everything.

No positive things to say so far Smile

From dedicated and veteran Battlefield player.
16-12-2010, 07:10 PM | Post: #14
Offline KrazyKain 
(16-12-2010 06:57 PM)Zocco Wrote:  Im dissapointed.

Ever tried Quake Live beta? It had it's issues but miles away from this bug festival.

Thanks, i love Battlefield but this beta invite gave me more headaches than i gave me fun.

To be honest i have problem mustering some hope for this project, so far it's only a quick bug-filled BF2 nostalgia trip.
Undecided

your not here to have fun you are here to help find bugs. thats why they want you. if you don't like playing bug filled games.. then why apply for a closed beta?
16-12-2010, 07:10 PM | Post: #15
Offline M1k3ol 
(16-12-2010 06:42 PM)Nerolit Wrote:  only one impression:

thank god it's not like bfh..(i mean balance-10 nationals vs 1 royal)

because the server autobalances itself and people get swapped Wink, so there's not an ever imbalanced game Wink, excellent feature Smile (even more since people swapped will get their points according to how much time they were on the winning team, not just get the loser's amount)

I want to see the choppers and jets in-game, can't go wrong when you have a full fledged vehicle map Smile

Moderator Since: 11-30-2010, 08:25 AM (GMT-6)
16-12-2010, 07:27 PM | Post: #16
Offline Aerrows 
Best of all free to play FPS, played one match and yeah best of all other free to play FPS.

ONLY CRAPPY VERYY LAGGY, hope fix soon
16-12-2010, 07:28 PM | Post: #17
Offline Drakel101 
Bugs aside (currently re-installing after being faced with a black screen) I thought it was pretty good, too much camping going on though.

Matches also end too quickly when one team has the obvious skilled player advantage.

I like the emphasis on flags instead of kills.

Engineer SMG is too effective over long range (I'm not complaining though, it's how I play Bad Company 2 lol).

Tanks a little bit OP, could easily be stopped by allowing character-swapping mid-match so your team doesn't end up not having enough engineers or too many recons.

Overall a good game, can't wait for the OP jets and helicopters Big Grin

[Image: drakel101sig.png]
16-12-2010, 07:29 PM | Post: #18
Offline ETek 
Beta or no beta, I have to be honest...I am *NOT* impressed. I certainly hope that the mythical "Battlefield3" is something other than this alpha I played today.

First: Yes, I know it's a closed beta, so it won't be perfect, but yes, enjoying it is part of beta-testing it, KainKravitch. If no one enjoyed it, no one would play it outside of beta.

Second: The greatest things about Battlefield2 (and others in the series) are the ability to keep team tactics paramount. Squads play an integral part of a massively winning team. This system basically tells you who to shoot and who not to shoot, and little other team functionality is required.

Third: The graphics are piss-poor and cartoonish. No, I was not a fan of BF:Heroes either.

Fourth: Sorry for the negativity, but you asked for first impressions...I'll come back and check it again in a month or two, but right now....Whew....Needs a massive pooper scooper.

*Also a dedicated and long-time Battlefield player...*
16-12-2010, 07:31 PM | Post: #19
Offline AinEstonia 
I like it quite a bit, and the 'Training' skill tree has a potential of creating a lot of depth for this game, as long as it's balanced. But quite frankly, I can't really give my first impressions of it, since I know it's a beta, and I'm not one to judge a game based on its beta, which kind of makes my reply redundant, DOH! Wink
16-12-2010, 07:32 PM | Post: #20
Offline Zocco 
(16-12-2010 07:10 PM)KainKravitch Wrote:  
(16-12-2010 06:57 PM)Zocco Wrote:  Im dissapointed.

Undecided

your not here to have fun you are here to help find bugs. thats why they want you. if you don't like playing bug filled games.. then why apply for a closed beta?

I knew you/someone would say that! Wink

So we are not supposed to enjoy the game as it is? How is that for a gigantic bug!
I seriously don't belive that beta should be all about finding bugs it should be about finding fun as well and i have but at all to small portions.
I'll happily bughunt and report issues as long as i have fun doing it.
Any other way is unacceptable for me as a customer. And yes we are customers. Even playing a free beta for a free to play game we are customers.

Enough ranting. Killing 4 people in a jeep with RPG is fun even if its laggy as hell!