Hello There, Guest!

25-04-2011, 01:15 PM | Post: #1
Offline Solid 

Do you think that Search is not useful, do you think that it is a waste of time to search? Then let me correct you, you do not use it properly, Search may fail because of you.

Introduction

Most of you know Search, though i will tell you something about it. Search is located in the Top-Right Corner, it is under the "Play Now" and under the advertisment for e.g Veteran Weapons.
It is rather small for it´s real potential.

(25-04-2011 03:08 PM)redharvest Wrote:  
(25-04-2011 02:18 PM)EWENEMENT Wrote:  where is ,,search" button ? Tongue
[Image: searchhc.jpg]

Now Right Click on the Link and open in another Tab. There we go now...

Search Options and how to use them:

First of Search by Keyword:

This is the most common used option and most wrong used!
If you want to find a Topic then you need to be Specific but not too Specific!
A Simple example regarding Deleting Soldiers:

Unspecific:

"Delete"; "Soldier"

Too Specific:
"How can i delete my Soldiers"

Right:
"Delete Soldier"

Don´t copy and paste your possible Topic Headline into this field, most of this attempt fail due the Specificness. Use general words "Soldier" is the most common used word for your Character, in BFH these Characters get called "Heroes", either use Character as general term or the game specific term.

Also do not use prepositions e.g of; from; by
avoid using the plural, the plural is in most cases of searching already found due the grammar (just a s). So avoid Pre- and Suffixes aswell.

Search for "search titles only" when you just want to open a new thread or when your search is somekind of short. Only use "search entire post" when you know for what exactly are you looking for
and when you can use multiple words (avoid plural and pre-/suffixes).

Search by Username:

Is rarely used but still a good search feature, you can search for Guides by someone which name you know. Also you can find Offical Responses easily when you type in the Name of the CM, no match?
Use another one there are HATE and Silvanoshi, the most common Posters, ShadeShooter, U-238, EA_Michinomo and EA_Goodman are quite rare on these forums, BenCousins responded sometimes aswell as jjagged who still posts sometimes. If i forget someone, tell me! (Thatto is new and i never saw him over here).

Search Options:

Simple and optional, if you know that it is a really old topic or has many replies, than you can use the Options.

Sorting Options:

Also simple and optional even more rare than the Search Options, it sorts the Results in the order you want.

Display Options:
If your looking for a specific Post, then you should check "posts" because sometimes it is possible that the thread is huge and well, this spares some time
If your looking for a specific Topic, then of course checking "topics" is the right choice.

Search in Forum(s):

If you search in a specific Forum, then you will have a shorter list, if you don´t, the list is of course longer. Possible Bug: This Option does not work, it still shows other Sub-Forums, too!

Examples:

Example: Finding this Guide
Just select "search titles only" and type in "Guide Search", optional you can type in my Name "Solid", though without a Keyword the list is quite long, type in at least "Guide" or "Search" and "search titles only". Show results as "topics"

Example: Finding an offical response to Tier 3
Which Developer would response to such a Topic? HATE is the right one! Type in his name and select
"search entire post", Keyword "Tier". jjaged is also a dev which may response to such Topic.

Now you! I thought about some exercises for those who are willing to learn:

Exercise 1: Find a Topic related to the XP-Bug

Exercise 2: Find a offical response to "Deleting Soliders"

Exercise 3: Find one of your first posts

Exersise 4: Find my first post

Exercise 5: Find something in which your interested in!

And that is the bottom line cause Solid said so (now try to find the original Poster Wink)

List of my Guides:
-My Guide about Tanks and Tanking
-My Stat Charts for all your needs
-My Shotcon Manual
-My All you need to know about Defibs
-My Assault Guide
-My Karkand Maps
-My How to Spot and Report a possible Cheater
-My How to Search

[Image: b6975638bd.png]
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2011 02:19 PM by Solid.)
25-04-2011, 02:18 PM | Post: #2
Offline EWENEMENT 
where is ,,search" button ? Tongue
25-04-2011, 03:08 PM | Post: #3
Offline redharvest 
(25-04-2011 02:18 PM)EWENEMENT Wrote:  where is ,,search" button ? Tongue
[Image: searchhc.jpg]

[Image: AAQ48Ke.gif]
25-04-2011, 03:15 PM | Post: #4
Offline Danreth 
To this topic should be add something like.

"If someone repeat question at topic is already answered many times. Than repeat answer or put link to topic."

Because if someone post stupid "use search" function search is useless because 20 topics have useless answer "use search".

Sorry for bad English. Im not native speaker, and I learn it myself from games/movies/songs. And I dont want to use google translator, because I want learn it better myself. If someone have problem let try THIS before showing his advance.
25-04-2011, 04:39 PM | Post: #5
Offline Tanis 
But that is the whole point of this guide and us putting "Use Search". If people cannot help themselves or at least try then who can help them.

[img]http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/655/taniscmsigd.png[img]
Thanks to Tobias for the sig! [] Dxdiag and HiJackThis
25-04-2011, 04:40 PM | Post: #6
Offline Jurzey 
I love this guide. Best guide on the site.
25-04-2011, 09:57 PM | Post: #7
Offline Danreth 
(25-04-2011 04:39 PM)Tanis Wrote:  But that is the whole point of this guide and us putting "Use Search". If people cannot help themselves or at least try then who can help them.

But answer "use search" if someone ask question is pointless. Who want use search use it - and will be much easy way with full answered questions in every topic not only "use search" sentence. And who dont use search will never use. Tongue

Sorry for bad English. Im not native speaker, and I learn it myself from games/movies/songs. And I dont want to use google translator, because I want learn it better myself. If someone have problem let try THIS before showing his advance.