Hello There, Guest!

13-04-2011, 08:13 AM | Post: #81
Offline Mel_Corey 
Same problem, nothing works.
13-04-2011, 09:05 AM | Post: #82
Offline HomeSen 
(13-04-2011 03:15 AM)OffaLimb Wrote:  Alright, I've been messing around with using 2 different computers and 3 different networks. The problem seems to be that, with my main computer/network, the game is trying to connect to a server at the IP address of 160.70.146.136. When I try to ping this address I get nothing.

So I tried using my laptop on my main network and and to ping that IP address. It again returns with nothing. Now I know that it's not a local problem on main machine since 2 different machines cannot reach the required address. I then borrowed my neighbors wireless network and try to ping 160.70.146.136, and it still doesn't give me anything - so I know that it's not a network problem on my end.

After that I head off to school, and while there I update the game on my laptop and take a look at where the network is trying to go. It connects to two different IP addresses - 239.255.255.250 and 94.236.97.4. This both are alive and return results when pinged.

[...]

Sorry to disappoint you, but:
Just because a computer doesn't react on an ICMP Echo Reply Request (ping), doesn't mean it isn't available. Many corporate firewalls block any ICMP traffic. So the only absolutely safe way to tell if a machine is reachable, is by connection to an open socket ( = combination of IP-address/hostname and port), like e.g. connecting to goole.com:80 (normal HTTP connection to the google website). Only if this connection gets dropped/can't be established, you can be sure that the machine/service on that machine is unreachable Wink

Currently I'm working on a "BFP4F Troubleshooting Tool" that checks, amongst other things, that the PC can connect to the EA servers (on the required ports) and other game servers. The problem is just that I've got a lot to do at work, and so just can develop it in my spare time. So it might take a few more days to finish and test a first BETA version.

I am a Community Moderator, not an Official EA Representative
[Image: cache.png]
Thanks to cpt.stone for that awesome piece of art

Help us to help you! (DxDiag.txt & HiJackThis.log) | Stuck on Loading screen? | How To: Properly uninstalling the game | PunkBuster issues? Read here.

13-04-2011, 03:19 PM | Post: #83
Offline OffaLimb 
(13-04-2011 09:05 AM)HomeSen Wrote:  Sorry to disappoint you, but:
Just because a computer doesn't react on an ICMP Echo Reply Request (ping), doesn't mean it isn't available. Many corporate firewalls block any ICMP traffic. So the only absolutely safe way to tell if a machine is reachable, is by connection to an open socket ( = combination of IP-address/hostname and port), like e.g. connecting to goole.com:80 (normal HTTP connection to the google website). Only if this connection gets dropped/can't be established, you can be sure that the machine/service on that machine is unreachable Wink

I'm aware of that. However I don't think this is the case here - when I would log on using my laptop I could ping the IP that the game connected to. I tried multiple different times on multiple different networks, and each time I could ping where the game was trying to connect to.

However my main computer seems to only want to connect that single address and never tries a different one. I was hoping there was a "preferred server" setting like Battlefield Heroes has so I could set it to somewhere else, but that option isn't anywhere to be found. So I was going to do some file digging and see if there isn't something telling it to always try to connect to that IP.

(13-04-2011 09:05 AM)HomeSen Wrote:  Currently I'm working on a "BFP4F Troubleshooting Tool" that checks, amongst other things, that the PC can connect to the EA servers (on the required ports) and other game servers. The problem is just that I've got a lot to do at work, and so just can develop it in my spare time. So it might take a few more days to finish and test a first BETA version.

That would be a very nice tool. If you need help testing let me know, I'll be more than happy to try it on Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Vista Home 32 bit, XP pro 32 bit, 7 Pro 32-bit and 7 home 64-bit using 5 radically different computers and let you know the results.
13-04-2011, 07:00 PM | Post: #84
Offline EnDroMorphy 
(09-04-2011 02:29 PM)Gadi Wrote:  the solution is only one and very very very SIMPLE! u only have to move the '' hosts.dat '' from the folder: windows/system32/drivers/etc
launch the game play and after u close the game move back the file hosts.dat back to its folder
(i was searching for a solution 3 weeks)

It' work ! Big Grin
13-04-2011, 09:46 PM | Post: #85
Offline Moradil 
(13-04-2011 07:00 PM)EnDroMorphy Wrote:  
(09-04-2011 02:29 PM)Gadi Wrote:  the solution is only one and very very very SIMPLE! u only have to move the '' hosts.dat '' from the folder: windows/system32/drivers/etc
launch the game play and after u close the game move back the file hosts.dat back to its folder

It' work ! Big Grin

Not for me. I have W7 64 Pro, and just yesterday I played, what happened today?
(This post was last modified: 13-04-2011 09:47 PM by Moradil.)
13-04-2011, 11:36 PM | Post: #86
Offline Garloch 
(13-04-2011 07:00 PM)EnDroMorphy Wrote:  

It' work ! Big Grin

lol it works fine for me at last i can play the frakking game
13-04-2011, 11:46 PM | Post: #87
Offline Alexxs123 
OOOhh holy fuc** Thank you Gadi Wrote !
I can finally play has this games !!!!!!
14-04-2011, 12:09 AM | Post: #88
Offline OffaLimb 
What I've found out so far is that what is causing the game to stall on the loading screen is that the connection to whatever server/IP the executable is trying to connect isn't happening. This really is a multi-faceted problem.

For some people that's because their hosts file is blocking the connection. For others it's because a firewall/port blocking software is active that doesn't have the right exceptions. But for a few of us, it's because the game keeps trying to connect to an IP address that isn't active, thus causing the problem.

I haven't had a chance, yet, to rip apart my game to see if there is somewhere that tells the game which server to connects to. When I learn more I will post more. I'm also waiting with baited breath for HomeSen's utility. In hopes that it will shed some light on what is happening. Although I doubt it will tell me where my problem is because the game ran and connected just fine before Open Beta. The only change on my end is that I update the game. No other settings on my PC have been changed, my firewall has the exceptions for BFP4F, and my hosts file is completely empty.
14-04-2011, 12:16 AM | Post: #89
Offline Aksahov 
This is my first post in this thread and I've been playing the game for a little more than a week now and I *JUST* started having loading problems. It'd load just fine one day, then the next it wouldn't load at all. Now it's pretty much continuous and I haven't been able to log on at all.
14-04-2011, 12:20 AM | Post: #90
Offline OffaLimb 
(14-04-2011 12:16 AM)Aksahov Wrote:  This is my first post in this thread and I've been playing the game for a little more than a week now and I *JUST* started having loading problems. It'd load just fine one day, then the next it wouldn't load at all. Now it's pretty much continuous and I haven't been able to log on at all.

Welcome to the group. If you look at your network traffic (really easy to do with Win 7's resource monitor) you can see what IP the game is trying to connect to. I'm placing good odds on if you ping that IP address you won't get a reply.

I know they can disable IMCP echo and that disables pinging, like HomeSen mentioned. However whenever I get a connection with my laptop I can ping that address without a problem, so I highly doubt they would disable the echo on only a couple of addresses, and leave it active on others.
14-04-2011, 02:42 AM | Post: #91
Offline MauriceVachon 
Hi all, i've installed the game yesterday and i could play.
Today i tried, it told me it was updating the game... and then, the loading page issue.
nothing changed in my setup since last nite.
Oh well
14-04-2011, 11:02 AM | Post: #92
Offline LucifaZ 
Hey everyone, I just did something that fixed the issue, all I did was go on task manager, went on processes and end process on BFP4Fupdater.exe or something (not BFP4F.exe) and now it seems to work. Try it out Smile
14-04-2011, 03:14 PM | Post: #93
Offline OffaLimb 
Last night (prior to update) I finally got a connection to different IP address. A ping of the address came back with promising results. For the first 5-10 minutes on the loading screen I watched my internet traffic and everything looked fine. After a while, however, the data just stopped flowing. Everything said my connection to the server was still open and running - there was just no data being sent.

So I decided to let it run for a couple of hours to see if it was stalled because of my less than ideal internet speed and I just needed to be patient. Well 2.5 hours (and one really awesome movie later) it will still stuck on the loading screen. I still had a connection to the server, the server was still pingable, but nothing was being sent or received.

(14-04-2011 11:02 AM)LucifaZ Wrote:  Hey everyone, I just did something that fixed the issue, all I did was go on task manager, went on processes and end process on BFP4Fupdater.exe or something (not BFP4F.exe) and now it seems to work. Try it out Smile

I'll give this a try tonight after I update if the problem still exists.
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2011 03:14 PM by OffaLimb.)
14-04-2011, 06:02 PM | Post: #94
Offline Plainace 
Above idea did not work for me =/
14-04-2011, 10:45 PM | Post: #95
Offline RingsOfSaturn 
Same. The ending of the Updater process didn't help.

Saturn and soul.
15-04-2011, 12:45 AM | Post: #96
Offline MomoSuki 
i am also haveing the loading screen issue but its for the maps. all of the maps. so since theres so many people with this issue it seems to be a problem on EA's end not ours. Cuase im sure all of u played the game perfectly fine just till this redeem closed beta stuff came out.
15-04-2011, 12:01 PM | Post: #97
Offline CHOIKOWKHIN 
I hate the Loading Screen
15-04-2011, 03:02 PM | Post: #98
Offline JJBtch 
wow @ my post :/ @ keeping the community clean. fix this crap where we can enjoy it and all the forums wont be cluttered with the same none sense. and for one im not gonna sit and search these forums for a post of an already noted issue when i can just make one quick post and be done with it. i think you should have support tickets if you dont wont your forums "cluttered" with post on issues that arent fixed
15-04-2011, 03:12 PM | Post: #99
Offline JJBtch 
I can confirm deleting your hosts file in windows/system32/drivers/etc will fix the loading screan of death. After 3 days i can now play. How could something like this happen? Playing one minute and 30 minutes later you have a loading screen for days. Well its simple. Some software/games or even yourself with out knowing or remmebering, will alter this file. If you delete it and play then just restore form recycle bend you will be good to go. Now i have a tough choice either come back to f2p or stay with BF2/2142
15-04-2011, 06:08 PM | Post: #100
Offline OffaLimb 
Another night of experimenting after the update, and I've found some interesting things.

1 - Stopping the updater process didn't work
2 - Hosts file is still empty, nothing changed there
3 - Switching to compatibility mode and back (as mentioned in a different thread) had no effect.

There are 2 things that made a difference. Right after the update the game started just fine (like it did when I reinstalled a week ago). After closing the game and starting it up again, the indefinite loading screen was back. So, updating/reinstalling helps for one startup, but that's far from a decent solution.

For an BFP4F unrelated reason I had to restart my computer. Upon restart I was able to load the game up without an issue. At least for the first time I tried to load it up, if I closed the game and reopened it the loading screen issue magically returned. So to confirm what I just saw, I loaded up the game to make sure it was still stuck on the loading screen.

After checking that I closed the game and restarted my computer. As with before, the first time I loaded the game after restart it worked. But, again, if I close the game the annoying loading returns. So it turns out, once you've tried every other solution and none of them works - try restarting. Yes it's an annoyance to have to restart the computer every time just to restart the game, but it's something at least.

Some personal speculation:
I'm guess something is getting released from memory correctly. I don't know if it's a network problem or something residing in main memory. All I know for sure is that once all volatile memory in the machine is reset (though using a system restart) the game works fine until it is closed. Then upon trying to run the game again it doesn't work. It's like it's trying to loading something that isn't here.

Hmmm, I wondering if it's not caching into RAM correctly, or if it's getting overran in RAM too early. So it's trying to load itself using the same address as before but since it's not there anymore it can't. Then it gets stuck. *shrug* Just me guessing, but I'm probably completely off-base here.
(This post was last modified: 15-04-2011 06:08 PM by OffaLimb.)