Hello There, Guest!

29-01-2011, 10:51 PM | Post: #1
Offline DefaultWarrior 
All right, not everyone is a helicopter noob, but some are. So, here's my guide!

CONTROLS

W to accelerate (go up)

S to decelerate (go down)

A to turn to the left

D to turn to the right

Move mouse forward to point nose down

Move mouse backward to point nose up

Move mouse left to roll counter-clockwise

Move mouse right to roll clockwise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-niqdIa37s

This video shows you nice heli tactics

SHOOTING

PILOT

Left click to shoot rocket pods

Right click to shoot hellfire missiles(these lock onto tracer darts) These did 600 damage to a tank.
In one instance, I hit an Apache with TWO hellfires and they didn't die. But they exploded quickly afterwards.

GUNNER

Left click to shoot semi-explosive rounds

(Sadly, that is the only weapon you can use as a gunner, no TV missile)

The beeping noise you hear while in a helicopter means you are being targeted. Fly away, press x if the beeping becomes a steady tone, and assess the threat.

Always watch your health meter.Transport vehicles can destroy a helicopter with their gun. Fly back to your friendly airbase and land where you took off. You will be re-supplied and repaired.

Tanks can do NOTHING to a helicopter if it is above the tank. Stay above and make sweeping runs. APC's are dangerous. Beware skilled drivers.

Heli vs Heli

Try to stay on your opponent's side, where he can't hit you AND he is wide. Easy target. Also, stay on top. The rocket pods are great for taking out the top of an opponent's heli once you get the hang of it. Gunners, trace the heli so the pilot can use the Hellfire missile.

Heli vs Jet

Usually doesn't last; an experienced jet pilot will normally trump an experienced heli pilot.
But there are exceptions. When a US jet tries to hover, blast it. I've gotten a lucky kill on BF2 using this trick. It's epic.

Attacking

Go in slow and unleash all rockets, or make quick sweeping runs that make you hard to hit. Going slow will make you an easy target for tracer darts and rpg's. Tracing a heli and watching rpg's chase it is very cool. Don't be afraid to use all rockets or chat with your gunner.

Defending a flag

Hover around, blast people from their cover, and try to use the funnel trick from the video I posted up top.

When you jump in a chopper as a pilot, do not fly low all over the place. Unless you are in a defensive mode, where your radar is actively going off, you should be giving your gunner the opportunity to scan the map for potential victims. If you're flying low through the trees, trying to show off your “mad skillz”, you are taking your gunner completely out of the game. Keep a mid altitude level flight, and watch for your gunner to mark targets.

These are pretty easy to decipher from air to air or ground to air. Any air to air lock you get on you will not last very long. If you have a steady tone on you, and it lasts for more than a few seconds, then there's a strong chance that it will be ground to air. If you know the map you’re playing on pretty well, then you should already know where the ground to air missile launchers are located. Scan the close vicinity to you and find out which launcher is occupied. Keep the chopper moving in side to side defensive sweeps, and wait until you see the smoke trails from the launcher. Once the two rockets are launched and miss, steady your chopper for the gunner to get a clean shot with the guns on the launcher. The reload times on the ground to air launchers is pretty long, so if you're a good pilot, you should be able to steady the chopper quick enough for the gunner to get a steady bead on the culprit.

If there's an opposing fighter plane in the air, keep an eye out for where he is, as they often sweep you for radar lock. Do not; I repeat, DO NOT, prematurely ejaculate the flares. Wait until the radar lock stops beeping and goes into full tone. Give it a fraction of a second AFTER full tone to eject the flares. By this time, the fighter will be too close for a good shot on you, and any shots previous will follow the flares. By the time he comes back around, your flares will be reloaded and ready for use again.

After a few passes from the fighter like this, he'll try to change tactics and turn off his air to air radar, and try sneaking up on you with guns a'blazin. Utilize your altitude and side to side motion as soon as you see the first tracers. Unless the fighter pilot is top notch, he won't be able to hit you with the first few shots. By this time, you'll see what's going on and be able to deviate and dodge.

The Gunner

This is a vital position. Always help your pilot by spotting, shooting at targets, and jumping out to help capture flags. Communicate with your pilot via in-game chat to make sure he doesn't leave without you. And now, you have a tracer dart feature. Trace vehicles so the pilot can shoot a Hellfire missile after the poor soul.

As the pilot, you will notice that the aiming reticle is by a green line. The line is a horizon line. When moving quickly, use the space between the horizon line and the aiming reticle to aim. When going slow, use the aiming reticle itself.

HOVERING

Great for taking out stationary targets or infantry in a building (i.e. the half-constructed building in Oman). Tap w a couple times, 2-3 per second or so, learn by yourself. Take time to practice near the carrier/airfield. Ignore screaming teammates. Practice makes perfect. Thats an original line, but you can quote me if you want(sarcasm).

WHERE NOT TO GO

The "Oman Triangle". As dangerous for helis as the Bermuda Triangle is for boats. It's the triangle made by B, C, and D. C is less dangerous, though. AA at the train and top of construction site.

[Image: unleddefaultwarrior.png]

Click here for attack heli guide! (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 02:34 PM by DefaultWarrior.)
29-01-2011, 10:54 PM | Post: #2
Offline SkywalkerHH 
and where is your guide?
i dont understand, why i can not fly a helicopter as a man with rocket luncher!!!!!!
29-01-2011, 10:56 PM | Post: #3
Offline mud5lid3 
nice guide where ever it may be
29-01-2011, 10:59 PM | Post: #4
Offline xtfresh 
see what he is trying to say is that there is no such thing as a helicopter flying guide.
29-01-2011, 11:03 PM | Post: #5
Offline madmanftw 
default stop spamming forums with unless threads its just pathetic. Here are a few tips you need training points in both the jet and helecopter to fly them.

Get use to the controls so you fly better and practice makes perfect
29-01-2011, 11:09 PM | Post: #6
Offline DefaultWarrior 
CONTROLS

W to accelerate (go up)

A to turn to the left

D to turn to the right

Click here for attack heli guide!
29-01-2011, 11:13 PM | Post: #7
Offline UmmiQngla 
Dodgy

Greetings from Estonia
Playing AT kit
--
My PC quick spec:
Win7 Ult 64bit + lates updates | ESET SmartSecurity, FW disabled
GFX:9600GT 512M+latest drivers by nVidia | RAM:4G_DDR800 | CPU:A64 6000+
LCD:1440x900 19" VGA
29-01-2011, 11:15 PM | Post: #8
Offline DefaultWarrior 
SHOOTING

PILOT

Left click to shoot rocket pods

Right click to shoot hellfire missiles(these are powerful but tricky to use)

GUNNER

Left click to shoot semi-explosive rounds

(Sadly, that is the only weapon you can use as a gunner, no TV missile)
You guys replied before I had a chance to finish my guide.
There really isn't much to learn, just practice and find a system that works for you.

I really hate how you have to wait so long 'till a helicopter spawns

Oh yeah, here are answers to questions.

@SkywalkerHH I haven't a clue, I'm an Engineer and it works perfectly.

@Everyone else You must use a training point on the helicopter icon in order to fly.

Oh btw not many people know about this but press o ingame

Click here for attack heli guide! (This post was last modified: 20-02-2011 02:01 AM by DefaultWarrior.)
29-01-2011, 11:23 PM | Post: #9
Offline CluelessJoe 
(29-01-2011 11:09 PM)DefaultWarrior Wrote:  CONTROLS

W to accelerate (go up)

A to turn to the left

D to turn to the right

I saw that video WAY BACK. That dude is awesome. I'm an adequate chopper pilot, but I've never been able to funnel anywhere near the way that guy does. Good choice in a video though Smile

[Image: mrite47.png]

MVG
29-01-2011, 11:23 PM | Post: #10
Offline DefaultWarrior 
Thanks man

29-01-2011, 11:23 PM | Post: #11
Offline xtfresh 
useless guide. you basically typed up the controls.
useless guide. you basically typed up the controls.
(This post was last modified: 29-01-2011 11:23 PM by xtfresh.)
29-01-2011, 11:24 PM | Post: #12
Offline DefaultWarrior 
I ain't done. Sheesh.

29-01-2011, 11:33 PM | Post: #13
Offline Lt.SpartanWolf 
Hellfires lock on to Tracer Darted targets.
29-01-2011, 11:36 PM | Post: #14
Offline o0_MadDog_0o 

Are we aloud to post video/pictures of the closed beta now? Cool!

[Image: BFP4Fsig.png?t=1291276352]
29-01-2011, 11:39 PM | Post: #15
Offline DefaultWarrior 
The beeping noise you hear while in a helicopter means you are being targeted. Fly away, press x if the beeping becomes a steady tone, and assess the threat.

Always watch your health meter.Transport vehicles can destroy a helicopter with their gun. Fly back to your friendly airbase and land where you took off. You will be re-supplied and repaired.

Tanks can do NOTHING to a helicopter if it is above the tank. Stay above and make sweeping runs. APC's are dangerous. Beware skilled drivers.

Heli vs Heli

Try to stay on your opponent's side, where he can't hit you AND he is wide. Easy target.

Heli vs Jet

Usually doesn't last; an experienced jet pilot will normally trump an experienced heli pilot.
But there are exceptions. When a US jet tries to hover, blast it. I've gotten a lucky kill on BF2 using this trick. It's epic.

Attacking

Go in slow and unleash all rockets, or make quick sweeping runs that make you hard to hit. Going slow will make you an easy target for tracer darts and rpg's. Tracing a heli and watching rpg's chase it is very cool.

Defending a flag

Hover around, blast people from their cover, and try to use the funnel trick from the video I posted up top.
@ BoeJangles that isn't BFP4F, that's Battlefield 2.

@Lt.Maxwell thank you

Click here for attack heli guide! (This post was last modified: 29-01-2011 11:40 PM by DefaultWarrior.)
30-01-2011, 12:10 AM | Post: #16
Offline Dominator 
I have just made one, it's the one by Dominator and the part about aircraft is near the bottom

(This post was last modified: 24-02-2011 11:57 AM by Dominator.)
30-01-2011, 12:20 AM | Post: #17
Offline Rox.A 
(29-01-2011 11:36 PM)BoeJangles Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-niqdIa37s

Are we aloud to post video/pictures of the closed beta now? Cool!

Battlefield 2, mate. NDA is still in full effect.

Also, to the OP: So why did you make a thread if you weren't even done with its contents yet? That'd be like if I write half this post n
30-01-2011, 12:42 AM | Post: #18
Offline DefaultWarrior 
I started it, and before I could finish 10 people had already posted.

30-01-2011, 12:50 AM | Post: #19
Offline Rox.A 
ow and add the other half however long after the first one! It doesn't really make much sense when you could, I don't know, compile everything into a Word document, make sure it's neat and tidy and coherent, then post it all in one go and have everyone cheer at how amazingly structured your tutorial is, instead of being broken into 20 different posts for no reason.
30-01-2011, 02:05 AM | Post: #20
Offline xtfresh 
DefaultWarrior, as a tip for next time, type up your tutorial/orwhatever in word/wordpad/notepad. Then copy and paste it here so its all together.
DefaultWarrior, as a tip for next time, type up your tutorial/orwhatever in word/wordpad/notepad. Then copy and paste it here so its all together.
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2011 02:05 AM by xtfresh.)