Hello There, Guest!

20-01-2011, 12:11 AM | Post: #1
Offline Johnysnake 
After a discussion on the polls forum (Poll: Suit Up Ladies!!!), i thought that adding female characters in the game might be an interesting subject to be discussed on the general forum.

I made up some questions, to give you peeps something to start with.
~So, what do you guys and girls think about female characters in the game?
~How should they look like?
~Would it have impact on your gameplay?
~Would you take a female character yourself, if you could?

I´ve answered those questions for myself and this are my answers:
~So, what do you guys and girls think about female characters in the game?
Great thing. I would love to have some female characters. I prefer to look at a girl instead of a guy.
~How should they look like?
Something like the female characters on the image below. Guess the one on the right would be my personal favorite, but that it will eventualy more look like the middle or first character.
[Image: girlsoldiers.jpg]

~Would it have impact on your gameplay?
Sure, i would keep smiling all the time. Big Grin (And would even make my medic as my main character, so i can keep using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to get those bloody girls back to life.)
~Would you take a female character yourself, if you could?
Ofcourse. Same reason as for the first question: I prefer to look at a girl instead of a guy.

(This post was last modified: 20-01-2011 01:03 AM by Johnysnake.)
20-01-2011, 12:54 AM | Post: #2
Offline Mage 
I am in favor of giving people customization, but if female characters are to be in this game, they wouldn't just be eye candy with plot armor. They would have to look like, well, female soldiers. Not like in most other video games, where they look like strippers who inexplicably don't die when shot at. This isn't the game for that second category.

If you're suggesting a model of the soldier that's shorter, probably a little slimmer, probably has slightly wider hips, and has a slightly bigger chest, the devs might consider it. If you're suggesting any of the pictures above, it's not worth your time.

I'm a guy, and wouldn't make my character a girl. (That would just be weird, I think.) I would have no problem with other characters being female soldiers, but this is not a venue for scantily clad females, this is a venue for soldiers.

Scantily clad women on the internet are generally internet pr0n. This game, to my knowledge, isn't.

Resident snark. Bark is probably worse than his bite.
There's an institution for chronic whiners. It's called AA.
Report hackers to research@evenbalance.com
20-01-2011, 12:54 AM | Post: #3
Offline astomishx 
i wouldnt mind seeing any in game but im just gonna tell you those people in the pictures are not gonna look like that if ben goes through with this.

hello
[Image: BFP4F_Mini_Sig038.jpg]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20-01-2011, 12:57 AM | Post: #4
Online Wizlawz 
i have always been and always will be for this implementation
i have played in a few realms where this is done, i think it adds a something to a realm (ye whether a guy is playing a female ava or not) in the aspect that it's really pretty cool to fight along with females and it gives more "character" so to speak to the realm [no pun intended]
and it shows that a realm is willing to accept females irl to play the realm, has more of an appeal imho.

[Image: 1977958]
20-01-2011, 01:02 AM | Post: #5
Offline SalTheSalamander 
This same thing is trying to be implemented into BFH. And that certainly isn't happening any time soon. This game might have more of a chance, considering now, females are too, fighting on the front lines. However, seeing as this game is aimed at being more realistic then most of the others shooters out there, they would have to look like the REAL soldiers do, in full combat gear just like the men. The whole barely clad image of a female soldier like the examples that you posted will NOT make it in.(except maybe the second one) Because, for the most part it is completely unrealistic, and if that is what you were hoping for then it won't be happening.

As for whether or not they should be put in, I'm not sure myself. We might run into a bunch of T-Baggin pervs or it may help bring more people into the game and the gaming community, you never can be sure.

[Image: ddgfmv.jpg]

BFH handle:"slingshot182" (This post was last modified: 20-01-2011 01:04 AM by SalTheSalamander.)
20-01-2011, 01:06 AM | Post: #6
Offline ReCoN+SkILz 
Those "gals" on the pics are looking quite handsome in some area's. If you look where we can choose from it's kinda let's say: a lot less...

[Image: allernieuwstesig.png]

aka:|| No1Engi || ExeCuTioN-StYle || NL_Unagi||
20-01-2011, 01:13 AM | Post: #7
Offline NoobSaibot 
How should they look like?
Probably not like the girls in the image
hot girls in battles...

[Image: sig4lz.jpg]
20-01-2011, 01:19 AM | Post: #8
Offline Johnysnake 
(20-01-2011 01:02 AM)Crazy_Catz Wrote:  We might run into a bunch of T-Baggin pervs ...

Lol, that would be awesome. HAHAHA Big Grin rofl

20-01-2011, 02:44 AM | Post: #9
Offline Aquilles0296 
C'mon, f* pervs... Let's try NOT turn this game into a hentai one, are you planning what anyway? One hand in the mouse and the other one in your...?

[Image: aquilles02963.png]
20-01-2011, 03:02 AM | Post: #10
Offline MoP_ 
The female characters almost always get accused of being "hard to hit" or "they run faster" in the games that have them.Imo,this is battlefield it never has had female characters and hopefully never will.
20-01-2011, 03:08 AM | Post: #11
Offline Anarchist 
Well...I just love women,so add the first image.With tight shorts and top but carrying the same accessory's that we buy now in the Customize tab.Yes it would make a fresh feel for my game play and yes i would play both character's.Make it so #1
20-01-2011, 04:10 AM | Post: #12
Offline ThantoEngineer 
I support the addition of female soldiers IF AND ONLY IF they look like female *soldiers*. I do not at all in any way shape or form support the addition of female strippers.
20-01-2011, 04:12 AM | Post: #13
Offline Rox.A 
... Uhhh...

I was going into this thread to display my agreement after reading the title, but after seeing your examples, I whole-heartedly disagree.

Yes, I would want people to have the freedom to create female characters. I would want them to look identical to the male ones except with different faces and hair styles to choose from, and perhaps a slightly slimmer build. If the game engine can just scale the model along the X axis without having to manually modify any of the customizations, that'd probably do just fine. The biggest difference would be an entirely new set of voice samples, and I'm not sure if the developers are willing to go that far...

But I mean, Bungie finally gave people that option in Halo 3 after much begging, and a lot of female gamers really liked that. Some people don't feel quite right playing as a character of the opposite sex if they have a choice, and some of those people are female, so in a game that's all about creating YOUR soldiers and spending a bunch of money dressing them up all pretty, that would only be fair.

Let me emphasize that last part. This game is all about creating a character or a set of characters and decking them out to become soldiers that you love playing as. You should love them to the point where you're willing to spend money to make them look cooler. That aspect is a important part of this business strategy, and I'm confident the additional attention players would give the game would make up for the price of adding a few face models and one more session in a VO booth.

Just make sure that all accessories are identical for both male and female soldiers so we don't get any of the junk further up in this thread and lose a bunch of potential customers due to sexism.
20-01-2011, 05:24 AM | Post: #14
Offline Johnysnake 
Ok, lets take the character from the middle. She doesn´t look too sexy, right? I realy think that she would perfectly fit into the game. Personaly i would change her face a little and maybe put her a jacket on. But that´s just an opinion. On this picture, even the background fits in the battlefield senario. Besides this game is for 16+, people from that age should know how to handle that. Girls have always played with male characters, so why would it be a problem if boys would be able to play with a female character? Some other games have female characters and that has never been a problem. Think about the famous Lara Croft or the female characters in WoW. It´s time to move on to a next generation on the battlefield. Let the girls come!

[Image: End-of-The-War_by-Idonk.jpg]

20-01-2011, 05:28 AM | Post: #15
Offline rukqoa 
How about this: make the models gender-ambiguous. They're all wearing body armor and equipment all over anyway. Just make the faces slightly slimmer so they can look like they're whatever sex you think they are.

NEW stats chart: http://bit.ly/lDeAlV
Ballistics: http://bit.ly/fFJ0IK
Server Browsers: http://bit.ly/glSEgF
20-01-2011, 05:31 AM | Post: #16
Offline Rox.A 
(20-01-2011 05:28 AM)rukqoa Wrote:  How about this: make the models gender-ambiguous. They're all wearing body armor and equipment all over anyway. Just make the faces slightly slimmer so they can look like they're whatever sex you think they are.

Hrm. Voice commands, dude.
20-01-2011, 05:32 AM | Post: #17
Offline Broken 
1. First girls want female chars.
2. when they then get them, they will complain about pervs T-baggin and trash talking them because they are female
3. We will have to hear all the crying on the forum

In my opinion i don't want it but again just my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 20-01-2011 05:33 AM by Broken.)
20-01-2011, 05:34 AM | Post: #18
Offline rukqoa 
(20-01-2011 05:31 AM)Rox360 Wrote:  
(20-01-2011 05:28 AM)rukqoa Wrote:  How about this: make the models gender-ambiguous. They're all wearing body armor and equipment all over anyway. Just make the faces slightly slimmer so they can look like they're whatever sex you think they are.

Hrm. Voice commands, dude.

Have a synthetic voice filter type of audio processing so the voices sound more robotic (while still having human quality, you can't really tell the pitch). As far as I know, you would just record men and women saying the same words in sync and somehow combine it together. Anyway, there's no harm having a feminine voice over. The commander voice for the US in BF2 was a female if I recall correctly.

20-01-2011, 06:10 AM | Post: #19
Offline Rox.A 
That'd make it worse, not better. If you genuinely cannot tell whether your character is more male or female even when they speak, that's just going to be extremely unnerving. That'd be the opposite of connecting with your character.

There IS no harm having feminine voices, that's why I wouldn't mind having the option to choose between male and female characters! All playable characters in all BF games, including commanders have had male voices. The non-player voiceover on the EU side in BF2142 was female... The one that'd say "Hey, your UAV thing got blowed up, someone go fix it!", but you have never been able to control anything female in a Battlefield game.

(20-01-2011 05:32 AM)Yonas Wrote:  1. First girls want female chars.
2. when they then get them, they will complain about pervs T-baggin and trash talking them because they are female
3. We will have to hear all the crying on the forum

True to some extent. I've heard stories of that in Halo 3. Gamers tend to be extremely sexist. But for those who don't care, it'd be great if the option existed. Those who are bothered by it have the choice to change back to male, so no harm done.
20-01-2011, 06:19 AM | Post: #20
Offline rukqoa 
I feel like it'd be extremely weird to shoot at female enemies. (It was for me in Combat Arms when I played it.) I guess it's just an imprinted thing in my psyche that it's totally not okay to kill women and children. (Killing men is just totally fine in real life though /sarcasm)

It's a video game, so I'm slightly conflicted on how the female character feature will turn out. It could possibly be a low priority feature. But then again, there's always harassment.