Battlefield Play4Free
"Installation Dir" - Druckversion

+- Battlefield Play4Free (/de/forum)
+-- Forum: Community Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Technical Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thema: "Installation Dir" (/showthread.php?tid=34577)

"Installation Dir" - NOOTNOOTQQ - 30-05-2011 12:39 PM

Okay, I've played this game since the day it was launched when it was all buggy and laggy =] I still loved it, but only issue is I deleted my account account after it failed to update on PTE and it wouldn't reinstall I have removed all traces of BFP4F so I'm not sure what's up..
I'm running Windows 7 OS W/ a high speed internet connection so lag is not a issue..
The error occurs when I attempt to install, after I agree to ToS And click install it states: " Checking installation..." then it stops and freezes and I end up with: "error failed: Installation dir" Searched the system for any "Installation dir" found a image file and deleted it, still download fails.
Any clues fellas? Heart Exclamation

RE: "Installation Dir" - Sgt.Sullivan - 30-05-2011 12:42 PM

Run your internet browser as administrator. To do that, right click your browser icon, and select ''Run as administrator''.

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 30-05-2011 12:43 PM

Failed to write Registry value: Installation Dir
If you want to install/update the game, you need to do the following:
HomeSen schrieb:You need to start your browser with administrative privileges when you want to install the game under Windows Vista/Win7:
1. Close all browser windows
2. Right-click on your browser's icon
3. Select "Run as Administrator"
4. Install the game via "Play Now"
5. Be happy

If you "uninstalled" the game by deleting the game folder, you got into the trouble I mentioned above. You now need to manually delete the Registry values, in order to install the game again.

1. Press [WINDOWSKEY] + [R], the "Run..." dialog will open
2. Type regedit and press [RETURN] or click on OK
3. Inside the "Registry Editor", navigate to the appropriate "folder", according to your OS's architecture:
For 32bit Windows:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free

For 64bit Windows:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free

4. Delete the Battlefield Play4Free "folder".
5. Try to install again. If it doesn't work, you need to restart your PC, since some registry changes are only applied after a restart Wink

RE: "Installation Dir" - ShortBread - 31-05-2011 11:12 AM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node Got that far then the next drop down menu is Microsoft under that drop there is NO electronic arts nor BFP4F folder.

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 31-05-2011 11:46 AM

In that case, try the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive. Though it should normally be under LocalMachine.
Maybe, explain what your actual problem is. And if you have deleted the game folder, or just want to install the game for the first time and thus get the "Failed to write registry value" error (in that case you need to run your browser with administrative privileges)

RE: "Installation Dir" - ShortBread - 04-06-2011 12:25 PM

Okay, my issue is when one of the updates happened the game failed to install the updates correctly and when it wouldn't reinstall i deleted all traces of BFP4F but obviously somethings left that I can't remove... So now I get that error after I click all the terms of service and start install...
this my other account but it wont install on this either...

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 04-06-2011 12:33 PM

Okay, are you sure you are really using a 64-bit Windows 7? Please also check the registry path for the 32-bit version.

Also make sure to start your browser with administrative privileges.

RE: "Installation Dir" - ShortBread - 07-06-2011 06:28 AM

Yes I'm 100% sure it's 64 bit Win 7 home premium Hp Pavilion and running as administrator for Google Chrome, FireFox, IE Did not work... Still telling me "Failed to write registry value: Installation dir"

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 07-06-2011 07:55 AM

Okay, could you copy and paste the following code into Notepad and save it as remove_bfp4f.reg. Afterwards, double-click the file and click "Yes" when it asks if you want to integrate the file into your registry.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Play4Free]

After having finished this, please restart your PC. Start your browser with administrative privileges and try installing the game again.

If that still doesn't work, try temporarily closing ALL "security programs", like anti-virus, firwall, Spambot Search&Destroy (especially the TeaTimer) etc.

RE: "Installation Dir" - ShortBread - 07-06-2011 01:14 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH HOMESEN! You're a total legend! installing perfectly!!! best community Mod ever! =D Thank you so so much for your time!

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 07-06-2011 01:22 PM

(07-06-2011 01:14 PM)ShortBread schrieb:  THANK YOU SO MUCH HOMESEN! You're a total legend! installing perfectly!!! best community Mod ever! =D Thank you so so much for your time!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help getting you back to the battlefield Wink

RE: "Installation Dir" - Undeadmarine911 - 11-06-2011 05:16 AM

TY TY TY TY TY it worked! thanks for you time!

RE: "Installation Dir" - Taba14-1992 - 14-07-2011 04:53 AM

Thanks dude, that really solved my problem, Smile really thanks!!

RE: "Installation Dir" - Nicholas25 - 25-07-2011 03:11 AM

I tried this and it wont let me import it. Plz help, I did everyone is says.

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 25-07-2011 07:17 AM

(25-07-2011 03:11 AM)Nicholas25 schrieb:  I tried this and it wont let me import it. Plz help, I did everyone is says.

Could you explain a bit more detailed, what you want to do, and what happens, please?

RE: "Installation Dir" - TheUncovered - 25-07-2011 08:07 PM

Thanks! worked perfectly! Big Grin

RE: "Installation Dir" - Sgt.RyanBaker - 27-07-2011 02:54 PM

Hi, sorry about the other topic,
I copied the code into my notepad and double clicked, and 'Yes', but it says that is impossible to import,that the specified file is not a registry script and I can only import binary registry files from registry editor

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 27-07-2011 02:57 PM

Maybe you copied too much/little? The first line of the file has to be:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

What Windows version do you use?

RE: "Installation Dir" - medic01453 - 13-08-2011 12:28 PM

Hello, I have done the steps above and get the same error message when I try to download.
Is there any other way to download the game again is what i'm asking.
Thanks! Big Grin

RE: "Installation Dir" - HomeSen - 13-08-2011 01:00 PM

(13-08-2011 12:28 PM)medic01453 schrieb:  Hello, I have done the steps above and get the same error message when I try to download.
Is there any other way to download the game again is what i'm asking.
Thanks! Big Grin

You shouldn't get this error, if you followed the steps from post #3 (or used the code provided in post #9).

Except the updater doesn't run with administrative privileges automatically:
HomeSen schrieb:If you want to install/update the game, you need to start your browser with administrative privileges when using Windows Vista/Win7:
  1. Close all browser windows
  2. Right-click on your browser's icon
  3. Select "Run as Administrator"
  4. Install the game via "Play Now"
  5. Be happy